Regulations and Misdemeanors

I read the page, soaking in every word.

Shoplifting (otc drugs)
Trespassing (St. Michael's medical center)
Shoplifting (otc drugs)
Trespassing (St. Michael's medical center)
Shoplifting (otc drugs)
Reckless driving

My mind swirls in a thousand different directions. The main one being 'How is he even a cop?'. I stand holding the file close to my side. I'll talk to him later. I think to myself, then go over to my desk, putting Gee's file into the biggest drawer on the bottom. I look up and see him watching me suspiciously, and I smile weakly. He tilts his head and narrows his eyes. "You never smile at me" he says, and I tilt my head. "You've only known me since yesterday" I say. He shrugs. "Good point, but I do know I'm a good enough detective to figure out you're hiding something" he says, and I tense up. "Excuse me?" I ask, and he leans forward, resting his elbows on his desk and twining his fingers together, resting his chin on them. "Something about me, I assume. Perhaps... it's my rap sheet?" He asks, tilting his head, his eyes never leaving mine. I try not to let anything show, but break under his intense stare. "Follow me" I say, standing up and going to the evidence room. "Hey, Al. I need the area" I say, and he nods, going into a side room and closing the door. "Why'd you have to bring me here?" Gee asks, and I look to him incredulously. "Because if anyone else heard, you'd be fired on the spot!" I say, and he chuckles. "Aww, you do care!" He laughs, and I glare at him. "How are you even a cop?" I ask, and his face contorts to one of seriousness. "That question has a long answer" he says, staring down at me. "I've got time" I say, and he leans on the wall, looking down at the floor, then back up to me through his lashes. "It started when I was 16. My best friend was hit by a drunk driver. He was walking down the sidewalk, with me, when it happened. I.. tried to pull him out of the way, but I was too late" he says, and my eyes widen. "He was in the hospital for two years, paralyzed from the shoulders down. He was in so much pain.. but the hospital wasn't giving him what he needed" he says, and it clicks. "You were stealing painkillers for him.." I say, and he nods. "That reckless driving charge, I was 18, and he finally died.." I look down. "I never got to say goodbye.. I was in court" he says, and I look up at him. "They gave you a choice, didn't they?" I ask, and he nods. "Cop or jail. I didn't even make the choice myself. If I did, I would have chosen jail" he says, and I tilt my head. "Why?" I ask, and he shakes his head. I sigh, and he looks up at me. My eyes widen, and I dash towards him, wrapping my arms around his neck and burying my head into his shoulder. I feel him tense, then relax and wrap his arms around my shoulders. He buries his face into the top of my head. "I'm sorry, Gee" I say, and he shakes his head.