Help From a Friend

I pick up the new case file on my desk, smiling and opening it. I glance the page over, and look around for a uniformed officer, instead finding Gee standing in front of me. "You left pretty quickly, is everything alright?" he asks, and I nod. I spot an officer and push past Gee, headed toward him. "Wu!" I shout, and he stops. "I need you to find this person, and bring in any witnesses you and the other officers identified" I say, and he nods, writing down the name and heading towards the door. Gee steps in front of me before I can go anywhere else. "Artemis, stop running from me. What's wrong?" he asks, and I look him dead in the eye sternly. "I'm fine, Detective Way" I say, and his eyes widen slightly, then go back to normal. "Alright. Just making sure" he says, and I push past him again, going to the break room. I grab my mug, a mid-size black mug with the words "Teenagers Scare the Living Shit Outta Me" inscribed on it and painted gray. I fill the cup with coffee, leaning on the counter and taking a long, slow sip. I go over to a chair and sit down, only to stand up again and go into the corner. I take another long sip, draining my cup, and put it in the sink, pacing across the break room. "Arty, you seem restless" I look up and see Nick leaning on the door frame. "I do?" I ask unconvincingly, and he nods. "Well, I've got something for you, and I think you'll really like it" he says, tossing a pretty thick file onto the table in front of me. I look at the Trenton pd logo on it, then see the words 'personnel file' under it. "Nicky, is this-" he interrupts me. "Way's personnel file. I gave it a look through, and you need to see it" he says, and my eyes widen. "Nick, I don't like the guy, I'm not trying to get him fired!" I whisper-shout, and he steps close to me. "Just.. read it, ok?" He says, and I look at him skeptically. I sigh and watch him leave, then look at the file again. "Hey, you good?" I hear Gee ask, and I jump, grabbing the file quickly and putting it on a chair on the other side of the table. "Yea, why?" I ask, trying to play it cool. "You've been in here a while. I was just wondering if you needed any help with anything" he says, and I shake my head. "Nope, I'm good. Just wating for the uni to get back to me" I say, and he nods. "Alright, just tell me if you need anything, alright candy?" He asks, and I nod. "Good" he says, then goes off to his desk. I go over to where I tossed the file and pick it up again, staring at it as I set it on the table. "Alright, Dayl, just read it" I whisper to myself, and sit at the table, opening the file. I skim over the first page, then flip to the next, where my eyes widen.