Chapter 5: Rebirth Killer

Terry watched as Marcus moved around the precinct like a hurricane. It was obvious today wasn't the day to mess with him. His partner and friend had been unavailable the entire weekend. Terry wondered if that had something to do with his terrible mood.

"What's up with you?" Terry asked when Marcus banged the stapler on his desk that was right opposite his. Marcus glared at Terry and said nothing and continued banging the stapler until the crooked staple fell out.

Mira Verron is what was up with him. He hadn't been able to get her off his mind. To make matters worse, she had run off from his apartment like he had the plague or something. Plus, he couldn't find his badge, and he had searched all over his apartment, turning it upside down. His entire Sunday wasted, searching for the darn thing. He was in deep shit if he didn't find it soon.

Terry whistled, having a full view of the entire precinct from his position that looked out across the entire homicide floor. "Well don't look now, Ran, but your day is about to get worse. The mayor just walked in," Terry said, pretending to be busy, fiddling with some papers on his desk.

"Ran, Smolt. Join us in the boardroom," Captain James Crane called out, looking at his two lead detectives on the "Rebirth Killer" case. He knew the mayor wanted to discuss those killings. Bodies were piling up, and they had nothing.

Marcus got up, followed by Terry. He hated it when the bureaucrats interfered in their cases as if their presence suddenly made evidence and leads turn up. Captain Crane closed the door and shut the blinds in the boardroom, knowing everyone in the precinct would be curious about what the mayor had to say.

"Mr. Mayor, these are our two lead detectives on the case. Detective Marcus Ranulph and Detective Terry Smolt," Captain Crane said, settling down into one of the chairs around the oversized table. He looked at the mayor's security team of four, skeptically, as they each picked a point around the room.

"Gentlemen, I have a city that's on edge. Tell me you have some good news for me. I need you to give me something, anything," Mayor Verron said, looking to the detectives and the captain. People were starting to get on edge, and it was coming back to him. Rumors of the police and himself not caring about the deaths because the women abducted and killed were all prostitutes, was putting pressure on his office. The killings had been named the 'Rebirth Killings' because all the prostitutes were cleaned up and dressed well when their bodies were found. They appeared to just be asleep and angelic in appearance.

"Apart from what we have sent to your office already, the killer, he or she, only abducts black women in their mid-twenties, shaves off their hair, and puts a long black wig on them. Oh, recently we learned that he or she applies a pink lipstick on all of them. The same brand, unfortunately, anyone can get their hands on," Detective Marcus Ranulph said, really very bored by the whole thing.

"We know that already, Detective, but how is this information getting you any closer to the killer? Do you have suspects?" Mayor Verron responded, hoping they had something new to tell him.

"We have absolutely nothing, and I doubt your presence here today will change anything, unless you have something to add," Marcus said sarcastically. He knew the mayor was just wasting their time.

"Detective Ranulph, the mayor is here because this is a very important case. One that I assure you, Mr. Mayor, we are working hard to close. We are pulling every resource at our disposal into this case. Detective Ran and Smolt will be working night and day on this one from now on," Captain Crane said to the mayor to keep things civil while giving Ranulph and Smolt a deadly stare.

"Technically, the mayor is our top boss, Ran. If he says he wants progress, you have to come through, buddy," Terry said, smiling like a lunatic poking at the hot coals. Why the higher-ups thought they never did anything to catch these sick bastards was beyond him. He would love to see the roles reversed. Marcus felt his phone vibrate in his pocket for the umpteenth time. He had been ignoring it all day.

"Mr. Mayor, we will update you immediately on any new leads we get. Rest assured we will catch this sick bastard," Captain Crane said. Marcus and Terry immediately got up and left the room.

"Now that's just bullshit. A waste of..." Marcus paused when he saw Mira seated at his desk. She was the last person he expected to see. She smiled when she saw him coming toward her. Her smile quickly faded when she saw that he looked annoyed.

Mira had passed through Starbucks and picked up two coffees. She wanted to explain why she needed to leave on Saturday. Marcus grabbed her elbow, making her rise from where she was seated. Terry watched, fascinated as his friend dragged the hostess from that heart attack case. He chuckled. Marcus seemed to be attracting trouble today.

"What are you doing here?" Marcus asked, finally letting go of Mira's arm when he was certain no one from the precinct would hear him.

"Whoa, what's your problem?" Mira inquired, her face scrunched up in annoyance. "I tried calling you, but..." Mira said, balancing the coffees in her hand and trying to stop her bag from sliding off her shoulder.

"Look, this is my place of work, and I can't have you coming here. What happened Friday and Saturday was a mistake. I'm going to ask you to leave . All his anger about the case and the fact that she rejected him first, came to the surface. He hadn't been thinking straight. He knew exactly what Mira Verron did for a living. Sure, they disguised it under the guise of hostess, but it was clear as day what she was. It wasn't right for him to be seen with someone like her.

Mira scoffed out loud and handed Marcus the other coffee she was carrying. She dug into her bag and pulled out his badge. She handed it to him then took her coffee back. She had no idea how the damn thing had ended up in her bag, but she had thought to do the right thing and return it to him. She had watched a cop film once and thought he would get in trouble for misplacing his badge like the cop in the movie did.

"You, Marcus Ranulph, are an asshole of the highest order, and you don't deserve one shred of my attention. I see exactly what it is. A woman like me scares you because I threaten and challenge every preconceived idea of what you think a woman should act like or be. Or what kind of job she should do. Well, guess what? I don't need your validation." With that, Mira turned on her heels and handed the coffee to the uniformed police officer at the front desk who had shown her to Marcus's desk.

Marcus watched as Mira walked off, her skinny blue jeans hugging her buttocks just right. All he could think about was how soft and perfect that behind was. If he were honest, he would probably never have a sexual encounter like the one he had with Mira. He had acted like an idiot instead of hearing her out. He watched the police officer looking, drinking the coffee that was meant for him. The guy glared at him like he was the biggest fool. It angered him even more.

"Fuck!" He screamed and kicked the waste basket that was in the corner of the reception area just as the mayor walked out of the building and glared at him. Marcus put his head down and walked back into the precinct.

The mayor and his captain were now breathing down his neck, and he had just fucked up his chances with Mira, and it was his entire fault.

************************End of Sample*************************

Authors Note

I hope you enjoyed the sample chapters. This book will be available as from today 17th August 2018 on Amazon. Thank you for all your support and love. 

Love always

Zinzi