2

Mason

It takes me forever to pry the blankets I'd swaddled tightly around myself after turning the alarm on my phone off. The wind outside whistled and howled, shaking my windows and sent shivers down my spine as the frigid air swept the floor.

Leaving my comforter a balled mess on the mattress, I peak through the closed blinds of the window. I clutch my bare arms tightly, in a pathetic attempt to warm them as I notice large clouds of grey and black looming miserably in the sky, casting a darken haze over the city below. I groan, having the feeling this was going to be a long day.

I look down to the old, heat radiator that sat just below the windowsill. Why wasn't this thing working? Crouching down, I hover my hand over it. It was warm but it just wasn't hot enough. I don't know anything about heat radiators. I make a note in my head to ask Freddy about getting it fixed later.

I let the shower heat up as I prepare a cup of instant coffee. Soon the room begins to feel humid and sticky. I turn and notice clouds of steam pouring out of the bathroom. Rushing in, I place my hand under the stream of water coming from the shower head and yelp out in surprise. Rushing to the sink, I let the cold water wash over the burn.

Rather than taking a shower, I throw on some clothes and head out. Today was just getting better and better.

"Good morning, Ms. Wal- I'm sorry, Mason." Freddy corrects himself when I enter the lobby. "Bear with me, I have yet to get used to it."

I smile, "After that, you can practice being less formal with me." I place the key on the counter.

"Is that so?" He smirks, briefly flashing his white teeth. "By the way, I forgot to mention my congratulations."

"What?" I cock my head.

"Your new job at the bookstore... You told me yesterday when you returned." He explains slowly, alleviating my confusion.

"Oh right. I did, sorry." I place my hand on the back of my neck and Freddy looks at me worriedly. "I've got a lot on my mind," I laugh, trying to put him at ease. I was just tired from staying up late reading.

"Wait is your hand all right?" He asks, leaning over the counter and taking a closer look at the hand on my neck.

I show it to him, "I- I'm fine," I assure him. "The shower was boiling this morning," I huff, surprised that he noticed since it was a much lighter shade of red than before.

"I'm so sorry. I sent an email this morning about the water problem... I guess not everyone received it," Freddy replies genuinely, worry in his shining brown eyes, as he gently takes my hand and inspects it. I feel the heat rush to my face at his closeness, just realizing how cute Freddy actually was-- olive skin, brown scruffy hair with strands that grazed his forehead, and dark brown eyes...

He suddenly looks up and I immediately glance at the ground. "I have some first aid if you need it."

"I'm fine, really. I really need to get going or I'll be late for my first day." I tug at my hand lightly that was in his grip. He lets go, "Right. Sorry to hold you up."

I mumble 'bye' into my scarf and bolt out the door. As I walk, I look down at my hand, the redness had subsided and it now was returning to its normal tone. The image of Freddy holding my hand flashes in my mind and I press my hands to my face; I guess it would be better to keep the relationship professional like he wanted. I wasn't thinking straight when I suggested otherwise, I needed to avoid distractions. I came here with one goal and I had to complete it.