5

Mason

On Monday, Addy was at school and business was slow. I sink into a chair next to Finn who leans over and whispers casually in my ear, "Let's play a game."

I was intrigued. "What kind of game?" I question, giving him a sly look. What was he planning?

"Let's see if we can read these people."

"Huh... Okay." I nod and scan the store; there were only five people in at the moment.

"Okay, the first girl near the front next to table seven." Finn points out. She was an oriental girl that typing away furiously on her computer, sipping, every so often, on her caramel iced coffee. I felt jealousy rise up within me; the tips of my fingers ached to write something, anything, as I observe her tap speedily at the laptop's keys. I clasp my hands together firmly in my lap, suppressing any urges. I hadn't had an opportunity to do so since Sky arrived. 

"She just looks like she needs work done, but based on her loose, colorful clothing she seems very approachable and is probably studying something to do with liberal arts," Finn says confidently.

"Or she could just like those clothes and she is writing an amazing review about us."

"Also true. Or she could be firing someone," he says.

"That is one strongly worded email." 

Suddenly she looks up and we both resume our jobs like nothing happened.

"Shit we're going to get a bad review." Finn whispers and I cover my mouth to stifle my laugh.

"What about me?" I suggest without realizing it and instantly regret it. Finn turns surprised as well. He pauses, staring intently at me and I shift uncomfortably under his gaze. "Well, I know you're nervous right now and kind of regret asking me since you're avoided my eyes."

I look up at him.

"I don't know why..." He pauses. "But you're always holding yourself back. You close yourself off before anyone can actually get to know you. You haven't asked to know more about me and shut yourself out..." he says as his hushed voice reduces to a mere whisper, his expression stolid.

I open my mouth but I don't know how to react and I'm saved when the door rings. Finn walks away from me and greets the elderly couple that enters and I use the opportunity to slip away and organize books.

I stand in front of the shelf, a mystery novel in my hand. I didn't even realize the front I was presenting to those around me was so evident and removed. I knew when I moved here I didn't want to start any trivial relationships but now I was offending those around me. I wanted to go unnoticed but I was just beginning to understand that was going to be impossible.

•••

At noon, the store is filled with the murmuring of customers and the rich, bittersweet scent of coffee. I had now moved on to the cart of returned books.

As I slide a book into its place on the shelf, I find myself thinking about Harry, wondering if he would come in today. I smile at the thought of him calling out to me yesterday; I really didn't think he would. There was something so intriguing and mysterious about him... and just who was Emily?

The familiar ringing sound of the door pulls me from my thoughts, my chest tightens for a moment when a tall figure enters the store, but of course, it wasn't him. I shake my head, I needed to focus on work.