Daryl's POV Chapter 50 Pillow Talk

After we finished with each other I pull her to me. I can feel her heart beating against my hands that are wrapped around her. Her breathing is still irregular from our activities. She is cute in this stage all breathless and weak. Two things she isn't any other time, and for the first time in my life I want to know more. I want to know about what it was like for her growing up in Ohio, and why she is so good at everything. I lace my fingers through hers, and kiss the back of her neck.

"Jewels tell me about yourself. I want to know more."

She turns to look me in the eyes, and even in the dark they shimmer. Her hair spills everywhere as she turns and I am captivated. She gives me a smile, and says, "What do you want to know? I am kind of an open book."

"Tell me about your 15th birthday."

She laughs and says, "You want to know about when I got Kujo? I thought you didn't like dogs?"

"I don't but don't tell him that. If it weren't for him being such a 'good boy' I may have never gotten to know you." We both laugh together. I love the high-pitched ring to her laughter when it's genuine. As if on cue Kujo jumps up into the bed. I did say good boy. He looks ready to pounce, and we both laugh harder.

"Down Kujo." She says and he instantly lowers his head between his paws in a pout. It's adorable.

"He can stay." She looks at me with surprise.

"Are you sure?"

"Are you kidding? I am tempted to start feeding him steak for every meal." She laughs and I give her a big grin.

"Does this mean you are coming around to liking man's best friend?"

"Let's not take it that far yet?" She giggles.

"So you want to know about our friend here, huh?" She nods towards Kujo who is getting very comfortable at the end of the bed. It's a king sized it's not like there isn't room. "There isn't much to know. I had wanted a dog for years but my mom kept saying no because I was to irresponsible. That year I was a sophomore and taking all honors classes. I had 'A's' in all of them with a 5.0 GPA. I cooked all the meals for the household, and kept it clean while she worked. I did all that while having a boyfriend for a year too. It hadn't changed. So, she could no longer tell me I was irresponsible. When she asked me what I wanted for my birthday I only had one thing. A puppy."

"You had a 5.0 GPA in high school?"

"Junior year I was taking college courses."

"Seriously? That's inhuman."

"And what were you doing at 15 and 16?" I raise my eyebrows and widen my eyes just thinking about it.

"I was competing with Matt in everything and competing in illegal street races."

She looks thoughtful for a moment, and declares, "You win."

"Wait are WE competing now?" She just shakes her head vigorously at me.

"Junior year I watched my boyfriend leave for army boot camp, so I didn't want to do much else."

"This is the boyfriend you came here with?" She nods yes at me. "Is he still here?" She nods again.

"He works at Carter Corp directly for Mr. Carter."

"And he got you the job?" She nods again. "So, you got hired by the 'Big Boss' there?"

She looks thoughtful, "I guess I did. I never thought about it like that. I am not sure that I like what you're implying though either." She pulls a scrunched face at me.

"Who says I am implying something?" I am, but I give her a cheeky grin anyways.

"You're ALWAYS implying something." I laugh. She isn't wrong!

I pull her face into my heads and place a kiss on her forehead. "Jewels, seriously why did you get this tattoo?" She bites her bottom lip. I knew there was more to the story.

"I would say do you remember, but you don't. So, the first night that we were together. The night you were beat up by Tony's guys." She pauses as if waiting for me to do something, and I just signal to her to continue, because she has my full attention. "I was just staying initially to check on you, and sneaked a kiss. When I did, you pulled me on top of you. You were naked and I had on just a robe. I thought you were with it, because you responded the way you would normally. Sort of. We were basically naked on top of each other and you groaned with pain. I was starting to get off of you, and you pulled me to you and said, 'Let me love you Jewels. Let me love all of you. Be my treasure, and I will love you like no other man can.' When you said that I had never heard anyone say anything so romantic. You asked permission just to love me. When you didn't remember I was hurt because I thought it meant you didn't mean it. However, a very smart friend told me that if a guy is out of his mind and still wants nothing more than to be in that moment with you, he means it. Despite whatever else, I knew you weren't just playing with me, and I don't want to play with you."

Her declaration is shocking to me. Did I really say that? But I know I did, why else would she have done all this. It is all making more sense. I promised her a lot in that moment, and for once I want to make sure I live up it. I kiss her, just a gentle quick one. I love the feel of her. Since I have already put all my cards on the table without knowing it I might as well tell her the rest. "The restaurants I take you too, are ones I always went to with my family. When I still had one. They are my favorite memories, and I wanted ones with you there too." Then she leans over and kisses me. A gentle quick one like I gave her. Are these promises to each other sealed with kisses? It feels like it.

We end up talking the night away, and it is he most perfect night ever. I tell her what it was like to grow up with Matt in the streets of NYC, and she tells me about all the flat corn fields of Ohio. She tells me about her ex-fiancé, and how things went bad with him. I tell her about how much Abeula's illness messed me up, and how I took a turn for the worse then. Before I know it, the sky is turning a lighter shade of blue.

I can only think of one thing that will make the moment more perfect. I grab her by that beautiful left hand of hers and pull her from bed. I wrap the blankets around both of us, and escort her out onto the balcony. She said she never sees sunrises, and I have never had a girl in my life that I wanted to watch one with, until now. I pull her into my arms hugging her from behind, and I watch the dawn come over the new day with her. I realize it is the dawn of a lot more than just today. I kiss her on the neck, and try not to think about all he reasons that this is a bad idea because for once I am truly happy.

*credits to the artist*

*special thanks to Mandy Teo for all her help and being an excellent sounding board*