Chapter 3

Shivudu (while still disguised as the guard with a helmet like crown covering his face) saw the statue lifting labourers at a distance, held under the captive of soldiers. After enquiring the reason for their being held, he turned towards Kattappa and asked “Were these the only people who took the name of Baahubali yesterday?”. Kattappa replied that the entire kingdom of Mahimshmathi who were witnessing the statue inaugural, raised the slogan of Baahubali. Shivudu then asked Kattappa to assemble everyone along with their families at the center of the kingdom. While some of the soldiers proceeded towards assembling the people of Mahishmathi, Kattappa headed towards one of the concealed weapon foundries, containing the flags, armours and weapons with the Horse seal used by Amarendra Baahubali’s unit. He ordered the soldiers of all types of units and officers of all grades to assemble before the foundry. The army was dumbstruck for a while when they saw Kattappa come out wearing the Horse symboled armour. Kattappa started speaking “Today I have not come before you as you as the commander of the army, nor as the loyal servant of Mahismathi throne. I had blindly committed to this slavery which costed the life of Amarendra Baahubali, the death of Sivagami Devi and the enslavement of Devasena. I can’t fool myself anymore in the name of honour and would like to stand out for true justice. Ensuring Devasena’s freedom is the minimum justice I can do for Mahishmathi and I would like to fight for it till my last breath. This is our only opportunity to fight for our freedom. Those who wish to join me, brace your armours, flags and weapons with Baahubali’s symbol.” The very first response was from a few loyal senior commanding officers who immediately joined Kattappa. They were followed by some young soldiers who joined on the confidence they had on the abilities of Kattappa and other senior officers. Though Kattappa managed to strike a chord in the hearts of the soldiers, they were still unsure of the safety of their families and remained weak-kneed. There were also a category of officers who remained loyal to Bhalla for they had been enjoying the benefits for serving him for a long time. Though they didn’t dare to openly oppose Kattappa, they left for reporting the happenings to Bijjala.

Meanwhile Kattappa ordered his guards to print flags with Baahubali’s symbol on it and headed towards the kingdom center. He saw the people of Mahishmathi assemble before the coronation throne and addressed them reminding them of the timeless bonding they have had with Amarendra Baahubali. He urged them to stand up and join him the fight for Devasena’s freedom by embracing Baahubali’s flags, as their minimum token of gratitude towards Baahubali. This shook the people who were emotionally torn between their sense of righteousness and their fear towards the safety of their families. Most of the people were hesistant to take up the flags from Kattappa’s soldiers. Meanwhile Bijjala approached the scene and yelled “You old snake! How dare you start a rebellion against the ruler? How dare these people forget the might of Bhallaladeva and accept these flags to revolt against him? Ugrasena! Show these people what it means to revolt against Bhallaladeva”. Ugrasena, who was one of the loyal commanding officers to Bhalla, ordered his battalion to kill the men and capture the women of the families who were holding flags. The soldiers who sided by Kattappa, though fewer in number, were trying their best in battling Ugrasena’s army. The public were terrified as Ugrasena’s soldiers attacked them and began pleading for mercy.