Chapter 10

“We are with you Bhallaladeva. These miscreants can’t fool everybody to yield to their victim playing tactics.  This old woman and a bunch of tribal bandits are no match to you in a direct face off. Many of the army generals are waiting to strike at your command Bhalla. We must avenge for Bhadra!” yelled Bijjaladeva, in a desperate attempt to instill confidence in his son. “Drag him away” ordered Kattappa pointing to Bijjaladeva. However Bijjala’s words had an impact on Bhallaladeva. He came back to his senses from the momentary despair, but continued along with Shivudu to his incineration. When they reached the kingdom center,  Bhalla was able to recognise two of his loyal commanders-Ugrasena and Shumbha, hiding amongst the crowds and waiting for his signal. As soon as he made eye contact, he gave a slight nod following which they split and proceeded in two different directions.

Devasena, who was following them, felt something odd about the way Bhallaladeva was wilfully moving towards his own incineration. The state of despair nor disapproval wasn’t visible in his walk anymore. As soon as she suspected that he was up to something, she alerted Jayavarma to distance the crowds and safeguard them. She also ordered Kattappa to be vigilant of any of Bhalla’s commanders attempting to create a ruckus. As per her command, Jayavarma advised women and children to disassemble from the place and ordered the soldiers to push back the people to a certain distance from the pyre and be vigilant. Kattappa forgot to blink his eyes as he scanned through the crowds. Shivudu kept a continuous watch on Devasena and Bhallaladeva and tightened his grip on the chain bound to Bhalla. It was then the noise was heard. Before the people or guards could see what was the source of noise, Shivudu being grown in forests, was able to recognise the sound and dragged Devasena close to him.

A herd of elephants, in an inebriated state came rushing towards them, crushing everything they found on their way. Jayavarma immediately commanded his soldiers to safeguard the life of the citizens and rushed towards Devasena. A bunch of archers and armed guards surrounded Devasena and Shivudu and attempted to attack the approaching elephants. But their strength nor speed was no match to the number and fury of the approaching elephants. Shivudu surrounded Devasena with both his hands and attempted to take her to a safe spot. Kattappa rushed towards Shivudu and Devasena, but he found it difficult to protect himself in the first place from the approaching elephants. He was thrown and wounded several times before he could reach a high point to find out who was where. He could see the people rushing to the corners of the streets, trying to pave way for the elephants and the guards trying their best to prevent the elephants from attacking them. He then heard a cry, “Thaatha! Ignite the hay balls!” He recognised that it was Shivudu’s voice and blew the emergency siren at once, while he began looking for Shivudu and Devasena amidst the elephants. A number of hay balls of huge size were ignited and thrown all along the sides of the streets, forming a protective fire wall to guard the citizens from the approaching elephants. Thanks to Devasena’s intuitive warning to back off the citizens, that there has been enough time until the hayballs were thrown to prevent loss of lives thought Kattappa. He then observed two people struggling to climb over the elephants amidst the ruckus. As Jayavarma managed to preside over an elephant, he ordered Kattappa to open the kingdom’s main entrance gates at once. “Water! They need water”, said Shivudu jumping over the elephants., as he approached Kattappa.