Chapter 7

The voice of Sivagami announcing Mahendra Baahubali as the new king of Mahishmathi, echoed in Bhalla’s ears. He recalled the incidents of her escape, his firing an arrow at her, sending guards along her escape route and finally concluding the death of her and Mahendra when her saree was found in the river and no trace of her or Mahendra was heard over the next few months. From the look on the faces of the people and the soldiers cheering Mahendra, he understood that it was him whose presence is making the people and army turn against him. He also realised that he was not wrong in assessing Kattappa to be the trustworthy servant dog to the throne and he had only turned against him in performing his duty. He then began to observe Shivudu. From the way he threw the chain at him, the way he jumped from the elephant, his dressing and walking style, he understood that Mahendra grew up in the tribes and did not have any sort of royal mentoring or training. This made him feel superior to Mahendra, which brought back his confidence and strength. He tried with all his might to free himself from the chains. Though he succeeded in breaking open a few links, the cut metal began to penetrate into his flesh as he tried harder. He understood that his attempt was futile and moreover he needed some external support even his succeeds to break free.He then began searching for Bijjaladeva and noticed him standing behind the crowds desperately trying to catch his attention. He also noticed Ugrasena and a few other officers, standing beside Bijjaladeva, waiting for his command to strike. Meanwhile Devasena ascended her chariot and ordered everyone to proceed towards the court room. Mahendra hooked a free end of one of the chains tied around Bhallaladeva, to Devasena’s chariot. As the chariot proceeded, Bhalla had to run to catch up with its pace in order to prevent his body being dragged against the ground. The crowds started cheering and laughing at him as he ran behind the chariot. One of the elderly persons from the crowds threw a stone him, which was followed by eggs, tomatoes, mud and curses from the crowds. All of this kept adding fuel to the fire of Bhalla’s rage, which could only be seen in his silence and not attempting to duck or look away when being hit by the people. He no longer wanted control over Mahishmathi nor the enslavement of Devasena now. His desire for supremacy establishment wanted to see Devasena along with Mahishmathi pleading him for mercy. He decided to unleash terror in Mahishmathi step wise, starting with destroying  Mahishmathi’s hope, then the property, then the honour and finally the lives of its inhabitants. It didn’t take Bhalla more than a couple of moments to plan his escape, but the bigger challenge was to convey it to his subordinates amidst the constant vigilance of Shivudu and Kattappa.

Shivudu didn’t let his focus shift away from Bhallaladeva, as he proceeded alongside him on his horse, while Kattappa and his battalion were looking for Bijjala and any other supporters of Bhallaladeva. Bijjaladeva knew he was going to be arrested soon and ordered Ugrasena and a few other supporters to disperse among the crowds and wait for the command of Bhalla. Bhallaladeva lay his eyes upon Ugrasena amidst the crowds, who he thought was efficient enough to understand and execute his command. He then looked at Shivudu and noticed a faint frown in his gaze. He smiled to himself, brought about the same frown in his face and said to Shivudu, “Mahendra Baahubali! Son of Amarendra Baahubali! Though your father was a sissy who couldn’t avoid submitting to his wife’s wishes and actions, he was at least capable of fighting her offenders in the open. You don’t even have the spine to tackle me directly in spite of me mutilating your father’s body, capturing your mother and tormenting her over all these years. You have got the audacity to attempt to capture me by being blinded from the support of Mahishmathi. Well, if you trust that Mahishmati is by your side,then just unleash my chains.” Shivudu understood that Bhalla was trying to exasperate him to free him and replied to Bhalla saying, “The chains are not meant for arresting you. Trust me. The chains are what are preventing the people from killing you.” Shivudu could notice the anger in Bhalla’s face upon hearing this. He shifted his focus from Bhalla who was staring at him furiously,  to Katappa and Jayavarma. This was the moment Bhalla was awaiting for. He quickly signalled Ugrasena to look at the elephant and sniffed hardly lifting up his nostrils. It didn’t take long for Ugrasena to decipher the signal and he appreciated himself for being able to live up to Bhalla’s expectations. He then appreciated Bhalla’s presence of mind to come up with such a brilliant plan amidst the humiliation.