Chapter 9

Jayavarma looked at Jabali with a slight frown and began speaking , "A few people assembled here seem to be forgetting the fact that Mahishmathi has been ruled by a woman for over two decades before Bhallaladeva, who has not only successfully protected the kingdom but also earned the respect and trust of the people as well as the neighboring kingdoms. Bhallaladeva has been rotting the fruits of her work of establishing a well stabilised kingdom. He is right in saying that Mahishmathi is the wealthiest kingdom in the region for it has the highest number of reserves of gold, precious stones, food grains, etc. that have been looted over these years either directly through invasions or indirectly through trade agreements. But only wealthy, not prosperous. The entire focus of the kingdom has been on developing weaponry, increasing the army capacity and invading new territories for their women and riches. Bhallaladeva was right in saying that the surrounding kingdoms would pounce upon Mahishmathi upon his dethronement, for he has created the enmity in the first place. The condition of healthcare and agriculture in the kingdom has become pathetic." "Bhallaladeva has made treaties with Kalakeyas and other invaders by assigning them control over a few trade routes and forest areas in return of a certain share in their loot, which was the only reason they hadn't attacked Mahishmathi so far. In fact, he even compromised the safety of the kingdom to take down Amarendra Baahubali, by providing Kalakeyas the passage to enter the kingdom" Kattappa added. Murmurs burst through the court officials as well as the public assembled there following Kattappa's speech. "This is atrocious beyond imagination" mumbled some of the court officials while some of the public yelled slogans to put an end to Bhallaladeva. Jabali and his fellow officials raised objections claiming the accusations made by an outsider like Jayavarma and a betrayer like Kattappa to be baseless and false.

Jayavarma intervened and spoke, "I would like to clarify the concern regarding the eligibility of Devasena as the successor to the throne. Kunthala has been one of the most prosperous and harmonious kingdoms, only ruled by women since ages. Devasena is a scholar of fine arts, agriculture and administrative affairs, an expert archer and sword fighter and above all a visionary queen and upholder of the kingdom's self-respect. In the short span of her rule of 3 years, she made Kunthala usher in abundance of food and water supply, with her strategic planning of water reservoirs and agricultural reforms in the region. She was highly revered among the surrounding janapadas as well for she personally took charge for protecting them against the invasions of the Pindari tribes. She chose to marry Amarendra Baahubali, for she ensured Kunthala's safety. She chose to be his spirit, for she envisioned Mahishmati's prosperity. A child need not worry about disease and hunger when there is a mother. A kingdom need not live in fear or famine when there is femininity. Femininity, which is tender enough to care for everyone's needs and strong enough to put an end to anyone's greed is to be revived not only in Mahishmathi, but among its subordinates as well and there is none other apter than Devasena for that."

The entire court went uproar in the support of Devasena. Jabali, Bijjala and a few other supporters of Bhalla couldn't dare to open their mouths in the presence of a massive upsurge in the favor of Devasena. Even Bhallaladeva couldn't anticipate such a huge support from the very court which he thought was totally under his control. Before he could think of creating a ruckus to distract the crowd, he noticed Devasena ascending the stairs to the throne. Devasena stood on the platform before the throne and addressed the court, "A kingdom isn't just a piece of geographical landscape or the territory of a ruler. A kingdom is a common identity of people which binds them to certain virtues above all the other differences they have amongst each other. Mahishmathi has remained a glorious kingdom for the reason that it's rulers managed to uphold this spirit among the people. I have seen this spirit dying over these two decades and hoped for its revival through Baahubali. Today I have seen the real spirit of Mahishmathi standing up for the justice they believe in and by the trust endowed upon me by the people and judiciary I pledge to upkeep it as long as I breathe. I shall need to put an end to all those seeking to subdue it. Bhallaladeva has starved the fire for too long. It is about time now that fire shall consume him."

"Burn me? You want to burn me?" Bhalla said in a tremulous voice and an agitated body. "I shall destroy Mahishmathi the way I mutilated your husband..." his sentence was interrupted by Devasena who said "Your end has come Bhallaladeva. Your screams shall reach distances beyond what you can see. The burning smell from your bones and flesh shall feel stronger than the strength you feel in them. Your mind which thinks that it has conquered all shall succumb to pain. Be prepared." This was followed by an eerie silence in the court. The way Bhallaladeva stood paralyzed-not willing to protest nor willing to plan something, worried Bijjaladeva. Bhalla felt a piercing pain in his heart, for these were the words he had to hear from Devasena, the first time she spoke looking at him in the eye. The silence of the surrounding crowd felt more hurtful than their abuses, for they began considering him dead already. The conviction in her words convinced him to prepare for death. Devasena ordered Shivudu to take Bhallaladeva to the 'Yagna Vatika' where she had assembled twigs and dried leaves for his incineration. She also ordered Sripaada to deliver a message to the surrounding kingdoms on a high priority basis, calling them for a meeting. Bijjala became desperate to catch the attention of Bhallaladeva, as he began to move behind Shivudu hypnotically for his own incineration.