~eight~

"I'm going home."

Even when she uttered those words she knew she wasn't actually going to be able to leave Vedant at their dinner date all by himself. He'd planned this for months if not years, and she didn't have it in her to sabotage it like that.

So this is what being in love is like.

He had practically whiplashed at her, and yet, she was feeling the need to put his feelings before herself.

Vedant on the other hand, instantly regretted his words.

He admitted it had felt good for the first few seconds, but the momentary satisfaction had more than dissipated the exact moment he'd seen the warm tears glistening, ready to spill from Meera's eyes. The chocolate coloured, doe shaped eyes he had vowed would never see tears, not because of him at least.

But he'd hurt her, just for some stupid questions he was desperate for her to answer.

As the silent seconds passed, he felt the cloud from his thoughts disappear at her sudden declaration of wanting to leave and a rational part of his brain take over. No matter how hard he tried, he saw nothing wrong at having finally asked her all the question that had been plaguing his mind for as long as he could possibly recall. One thing he could've done differently was choose his words a little better.

A LITTLE Better? You sounded like a legit asshole Vedant!

He sighed, already guilty. "I'm sorry Meera. I guess I've just been bottling too many things inside for too long and-"

To his complete and utter surprise, she cut, "-you're right."

"I...am?" he asked with confusion.

Meera gave a gentle nod, "Ever since this...this long distance thing, all we've been trying to do is maintain peace. Which we did maintain, but at the cost of communication."

Vedant wasn't too sure he was able to follow where she was headed.

"I guess you and I both know there are a lot of things we need to discuss that we've been evading so far. Some of them were the ones you just lashed out about."

The waiter interrupted suddenly, and they both took a few seconds off to let the food be served on the platter. He'd forgotten how hungry he was, and dug in immediately.

"You were saying...." His mouth stuffed with noodles, he tried to ensure their link didn't break. Meera smiled lovingly at his childlike antics despite the tension in the air, and Vedant blushed a deep sense of red, immediately wiping his face with the napkin.

She blinked, feeling a strange warmth consume her. And just like that, all the anger, all the hurt was gone.

"We can always talk after dinner Vedant."

At that, he shook his head with a vehement no. "I think we've avoided this conversation long enough Meera. You were saying...?"

She couldn't disagree to that. "Somewhere along trying to make things work, we stopped sharing our thoughts with each other. I feel like this is it. This is the only thing that has been causing all these disagreements for the past few months. While we thought we were working towards making things work, we were only increasing the tension and bottled up emotions."

Vedant nodded in understanding, "So what do you suggest we do?"

"We get everything out. We ask each other whatever has been bothering us and know the other person's take on it. If we disagree, we discuss it, like any other sane couple until one of us is convinced to change their views on the subject. Basically Vedant..." At that, her voice grew soft and sensitive, almost pleading, "...we talk like we used to once upon a time."