~twenty five~

"I love you Vedant. And it is because I love you, that I can't be selfish with you. Not anymore."

He hadn't regretted drinking in the past as much as he did that instant. It was like his ears were doing just fine, listening to her words, and his brain was doing its job, comprehending the meaning behind those words, but the rest of his faculties, which made him respond and react seemed to have stopped functioning.

Meera gazed at him un-movingly for one quiet second after another, until he found himself say, "Hold that thought." He raised his arms in mock surrender, and scurried past her to the washroom.

After studying his dishevelled features in the mirror, he splashed some cold water and slapped his face mercilessly a couple of times to pull himself out of his trance.

"What are you doing?" he heard Meera call from the door to the washroom, and let out a sigh, "Trying to get a grip on myself."

She looked away with a shake of her head, "I've been telling you to go to bed Vedant. We can talk about this tomorrow!"

"But I want to talk now Meera."

Meera didn't look too pleased with his persuasion, eying him disapprovingly. "Fine. Then at least go take a shower. I think I'm smelling whiskey and knowing you, it's going to take more than just splashing some water to be anywhere near the sober state I need you to be in."

Vedant shook his head vehemently, "It's...it's freezing right now. There is no way I'm taking a shower."

"Okay. Then wake me up when you're done behaving like a child."

He watched quietly as she stormed towards the bed, and found himself rush up to her impulsively. "Meera. You returned to Delhi two days ago and didn't so much as call. All I ever received was a one liner message from you telling me you're home. I don't know what I've done, but whatever it is, it can't be so horrible that you treat me like this."

She stopped short, wetting her lips unconsciously. "I'm sorry. I needed some time alone."

"I'll be gone in the next couple of days Meera. You'll have all the time alone."

Meera plonked herself on the bed at that, before scooting to the side and making room for him to sit. He quietly did.

"When do you leave?"

"Well...." He blushed, "....I will have to leave after the Audit. I uh, just said that for effect."

Her eyes narrowed his way with annoyance.

Vedant eyed her sceptically. What could have possibly happened there in Mumbai in just a matter of seven days? Why did she look so disturbed?

"I'm not ready for this Vedant."

He opened his mouth to ask her what she was talking about, but something told him he needed to give her her time to open, and immediately gulped down the words at the tip of his tongue.

"Kanan helped a lot with all the hospital stuff. I practically didn't have to do anything."

Vedant nodded in understanding, having already guessed if Meera's Dadi was being hospitalized in the same hospital Kanan worked, there was no question about him getting personally involved to help.

"I wanted to thank him, and I...I guess we had a moment and he was about to kiss me." She paused, gauging his reaction.

"Did he?"

Meera's brows drew together, "You seriously have to ask?"

"Just put yourself in my position Meera. I know something serious happened there. And the first person you talk about is Kanan and how he wanted to kiss you. What am I supposed to make of this?"