~ten~

Kanan absently watched the middle-aged man drawl about his supposed insomnia. With his hair balding from the front, cheeks flushed to a deep red with beads of sweat trickling down his forehead despite the AC, and his smoking induced purple lips, the man looked strikingly and most uncomfortably a lot like his own Father.

Kanan noted thoughtfully, this man was the perfect description of just how he never wished to look in his mid forties; or however old the man was.

He craned his neck up and pulled the patient's file towards him to check.

Forty six years old. Bingo!

He could tell the man was full of shit.

It was all the Internet's doing really, to give more information than needed to the masses. Therefore, one tiny problem in regular life and people would have already googled up the supposed symptoms. By the end of their 'research', a huge chunk of them were convinced that they were dying of a certain disease that started with the letter 'C', ended with 'R'....oh well, cancer of course!

Kanan suppressed an amused grin within.

While this man's animated and ridiculous, albeit sincere attempt at convincing Kanan of his weary and stressed life leading to his self-declared insomnia continued, Kanan found his interest pique more on the wife. She was strikingly attractive for her age.

Whether it was the big, blob of a man that occupied the seat next to her or just her natural pleasing appearance that made him feel that way however, was a little difficult for him to place. She looked a cent percent convinced about the man's 'symptoms' and 'conclusions'.

Instantly in his head, he summed two and two and deduced that she was one of the typical kinds of wives he was used to seeing on an everyday basis in his clinic. Wives who kept their eyes and ears closed to every aspect of the World and drowned themselves in social gatherings and parties without a clue about what their husbands did for a living, where they went....and of course, who they slept with.

Sure, he was being judgemental. But this was something he liked and prided himself to be good at, for his judgements and observations were generally on point.

This man for instance, was a gone case alcoholic and a chain smoker who made truck loads of money every month, some with hard work and others with contacts. Lots of ill-earned money meant spending recklessly on things that didn't always account legitimate. Including women.

Other women, to be precise.

From the looks of it, this woman had developed some degree of righteousness and had perhaps suggested a separation. Paranoid about his social standing, the man would've decided to cook up some intense sob story of his stressful days to earn them a good living and just like that, the woman would've fallen for it and ended up at his clinic with acute worry for her husband's good health.

A part of him wanted to roll his eyes. This was the part that couldn't tolerate both, infidelity and broken marriages pretending to stand strong to be socially acceptable. He'd seen enough of both at home to want to see the same in his clinic.

While the other, trained and professional part of him knew just how to handle this case.

"I hope you didn't happen to take any medication without prescription before this, Sir." He asked feigning concern.

The man shook his head, clearly quite surprised at having fooled the doctor with his ridiculous theory so easily.

Kanan nodded curtly, and resumed gaping at the prescription with the basic details of the patient as the man continued with his sob story.