35

Ronan took us to Greenwich Park, and rightly so. I knew he was here the moment my feet touched the ground, mainly due to the complete absence of people, but also that deep feeling of dread that filled me.

"He's here." I whispered, and the others just nodded. I guess I wasn't the only one that could feel it.

"You made it!"

I turned, and there he was in all his glory. Black smoke lingered around him like a bad stench, and his eyes... they were what was most disturbing. I wondered if David had felt this way when I'd let the darkness out and completely trashed his office. Haydn's eyes had lost their sharp yellow beauty, and had been replaced with black voids of emptiness.

"You know, I was a little worried that I'd killed you." Haydn said, walking closer to us. I could see dark clouds were beginning to gather in the distance, and wasn't sure whether it was Haydn doing it or me. Haydn with his darkness or me with my lightning. I wasn't even sure if I could do that. "I was looking forward to doing it slowly, so I could let you see what you did."

"How kind of you." I said.

"You know, the first thing I'm going to do after killing you and your friends is go to your house." Haydn smirked. "I'm going to tell your parents that you are responsible for their deaths. Then, I'm going to make an army. Did you know that with this-" he picked up his hands, showing us the darkness lurking there, "-I can possess people and control them? Nothing like the pathetic hypnosis of your Dreamwalker. I will find every Argent of this world, and they, in turn, will bow down to me. I will take this world for my own."

At the mention of my parents, my hands had clenched by my side. I could feel the ice tingling there in anticipation, ready to go.

"Does he always talk this much?" David asked the group, but still kept his eyes on Haydn.

"Unfortunately, yes." I said, just as David shot his hands forward. The bolt of lightning sliced through the air, and for a moment I thought that Haydn would dodge it. But, he wasn't expecting it and David managed to hit Haydn right in the chest, knocking him back.

"How does it feel, to have no fire or lightning on your side?" I asked, taking a few steps towards him.

Haydn got up, and laughed. "Rather good, actually." He said, and then he sprung into action. He moved so fast, all I saw was a blur of black smoke before he landed hard on David, knocking him over. "David Gretta." Haydn snarled. "I had the displeasure of meeting your father, once."

David was struggling under Haydn's unnatural weight, the darkness circling them both.

"Perhaps you can be the first man of my army." Haydn said, just as I decided to intervene.

I let the ice burst out of my hands, so that it hit Haydn on the shoulder. It knocked him a little, enough to distract him from David, and then I fired again. He dodged, easily this time, and stood up. This time, I called the fire, and sent a hot inferno of flames towards him, but it didn't seem to do a lot. Haydn used the darkness as a shield, blocking my attacks and getting closer and closer to me. Then, he shot out his own hands with the darkness, and a black mass hit me backwards, hard. I landed with a thump on my backside, and sat up to see Stella moving her hands in a way that caused the roots of nearby trees to grab Haydn's wrists and ankles. Haydn was snapping them, only to be caught again and again, but every time, he got closer to her.

"STOP!" He shouted, his voice ringing through my eardrums and echoing loudly through the park. An explosion of black burst out of him, a shockwave of energy, knocking everyone off their feet- except me, because I was already on the ground. It just knocked me back further so I was laying flat on the grass.