Chapter Seven

"The main point of this is what?" I laid on Ben's bed, crushing my hair that Anne had curled, teased, and twisted to perfection. I wasn't too concerned about crushing it too badly with the amount of hairspray she put on it.

A black cocktail dress was wrapped around my body that I had picked out by myself. When I pulled it from the wardrobe, I had surprised Anne that I wanted to wear it. She expected me to not wear anything like that dress when she bought it. Her only hope was that one day I would warm up to it.

The dress was not skin tight, but it curved with my hips and the top was off the shoulders. It reminded me a little burgundy ball gown I wore at Audrey's ball, just shorter and tighter.

Ben walked out of the bathroom. I propped up on an elbow.

"Damn." Ben only had on his black dress pants and shoes. His muscular chest, which was a gift from a god, was bare.

Ben glanced at me before he said, "The cocktail party is a little thing that leaders like to do."

"But why do we have to go in the first place?" I sat up the rest of the way, tucking my legs underneath me.

"Because Chris and Carl will be there." He didn't need to say my mother's name. She would be there too, she would be since Chris was to attend.

Ben walked to the bed. Beside me was his white button shirt and white undershirt. I pulled the undershirt behind me, out of the reach of his fingers. He reached for it again but I pulled it further behind me.

"Stop that." Ben looked up at me. I got up on my knees, my eyes level with his.

"Or what?"

Ben looked down at my lips that were painted red from the lipsticks Anne put on without my say so. When I was about to protest she gave me a look, the lipstick would stay no matter what I thought.

"Or," Ben whispered, he drew me in close. My right hand braced his chest as he drew me close. My other hand held his shirt far behind me. His lips found mine and he kissed me deeply. The kiss was intimate and different than before. Inside, I felt myself unravel. Butterflies fluttered my stomach, aching to be released. His hand roamed my sides. Underneath my hand, his chest was hot and strong.

Ben leaned more, forcing my back to arch. Ben moved his lips from mine to kiss me on my neck below my ear. His right arm roamed down the side of my hip. My body melted in his arms at the touch of his lips and hand.

Before I knew what happened, he pulled away leaving me breathless. He held up the shirt that I took from him. A feline smile on his face. "Oh, that's not fair," I snapped.

Ben leaned toward me. I tried to snatch the shirt from his hand but he raised it higher. His free hand pulled me in. My body pressed against his. "What you did was unfair." He kissed me once more and stepped back, pulling on his shirt.

I sat back on the bed. That time I handed him his white button shirt. "I like you best in a tuxedo." An eyebrow arched and I went on. "You look sharp."

Ben finished buttoning the shirt and tucked it in. "I don't mind them but when I wear them I don't feel like me." I handed him the black bowtie. "When I wear this I am Prince Benedict."

"I keep forgetting your full name is Benedict. I should call you that more often."

"Don't you dare."

"I sort of want to dare."

Ben pulled on his dinner jacket, his collar didn't flip down in the back. I got off the bed, slipped on my heels, and stepped toward Ben. With the heels, I was almost eye level. Still a few inches shorter but at least not a whole foot like before. Ben froze as I lifted both arms to fix his collar. I slide my hands down to straighten his bowtie and placed my hands on his chest.