Chapter Sixteen

The storm had blown over when Alec ended his story

The storm had blown over when Alec ended his story. The only sound was a ticking of a clock above the fireplace and Lena chattering with her mom from her bedroom.

I never knew, would not have guessed Alec's father was like that. Yes, I never liked the man, but to be cruel to his son and wife... The story explained so much, I always thought Alec was a bully and a lowlife that liked the suffering of others but now I understood.

"I am not asking forgiveness," Alec said, he turned to me, his features soft and genuine, "I just want you to understand."

I bit my lip. Releasing his pent-up anger, frustration, and hurt on me was not right, but also it was not right for his father to beat him. In some small ways, it was my fault for how he was treated. Of course, I do not blame myself for it, but his father expected him to be better than me but I always was in front of Alec during school.

"What you did wasn't right," I said. Alec's face fell at the words. "But it is in the past and you were hurting. I am willing to move forward with you. I forgive you for all those years, and I am not doing it to be nice or to ease your mind, but as a reminder for you."

A reminder, a promise to me he would be a changed man. I think he needed that person; someone to hold him accountable. There were his mother and sister, but he needed someone who was not related to him. Someone he could confide in that wasn't family.

Alec nodded in understanding at my meaning. On my shoulder, Audrey sniffed loudly. She raised her head and wiped a tear from her eyes. I lean forward to see her red eyes better. "Are you crying?"

Audrey shot me a look. "Oh, shut up."

Little footsteps of Lena rushed into the living room. "Come on Alec!" She grabbed at his hand, pulling him up from his chair. "We are going to make dinner."

"Okay, okay." Alec got up from his spot while Audrey and I burrowed below the blankets.

The phone Alec gave me in case Ben called, vibrated violently on the nightstand beside me

The phone Alec gave me in case Ben called, vibrated violently on the nightstand beside me. I struggled to reach it in the semi-darkness and my sleep-deprived brain.

"Turn that off," Audrey muttered beside me, she rolled over and went back to sleep.

The phone was dangerously close to vibrating off the nightstand when I found it. "Hello?" my voice muffled by the pillow as I laid my head back down.