Chapter Thirty-Five

"Bullshit."

Colt whipped his head toward Alec who had leaned back in his chair. The danger in his glare was egging Colt on to argue. Colt wisely asked, "What makes you say that?"

"This place may be twisted," Alec said, "but they can't seriously be doing human sacrifice."

"You will believe me tomorrow." Colt turned back to Ben and I. "The dais will be raised tomorrow and a speech will be given the day after in preparation of Winter Solstice."

"How come you know it's Audrey?" Ben asked.

"I'm Morgan's heir. I tend to know his plan. What the priest and Morgan normally do is make someone believe they had been chosen. Since Audrey doesn't have a memory, it makes sense to manipulate her to believe she is the Chosen One."

"Okay," Ben said, he leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees. "We will see if your words are true tomorrow and then we'll go from there."

Colt nodded.

We all stood, Colt leading Ben and Alec to the back door.

"Hey," I tugged on Ben's hand, stopping him before he walked into the hallway. "If what he says is true. We will get Audrey out safely."

Ben watched me. "I know." He brushed a thumb over my cheek. "We will get her out. I'm not worried about us or her. What I am worried about is if she will ever remember herself again."

I leaned up and kissed him. His lips were soft but there was tension.

Leaning back, I said, "I love you."

"I love you too."

Ben walked into the hall and turned to me. "Hey, we left our radio in your room. It will be safer here than with us. You may want to give your dad a call too."

I smiled. "I will."

Ben's footfalls retreated down the hall. There was a whisper of words and the door closed with a small click.

Colt reappeared a moment later. His face was tired with dark circles under his eyes and his features dulled. The story must have drained all his energy.

"Your room is two doors down. Mine is the one right here." He pointed to the door across the living room. "If you need anything let me know."

"Thanks," I said.

I walked to the door he indicated. Inside was a dresser and a bed that had the radio. I sat down on the quilt on the bed and called Dad.

The next day the dais was constructed beside the church

The next day the dais was constructed beside the church. So that part of what Colt said about sacrifices was true.

Since seeing the dais that morning, I was anxious until that night when the dais was at last built and after dinner in the Hall, the people of the Settlement were called to it.