Chapter 1

The girl was about 15 when she was rescued from Hydra. She had spent most of her life in their grasp. She used to have a normal family before she was taken away and given mutant abilities.

(Y/n) was startled awake at the sound of gunshots down the hall followed by yelling. She scrambled off of her hard cot and hid in the corner of her small, dark room, pulling her hospital gown down in the process.

She stared at the heavy metal door, goosebumps peppering her skin as she saw the shadows of feet in the slit under her door. She hid her head in her knees, pulling them to her chest as she whimpered and prepared herself for more testing.

Steve scanned the dark room, looking for threats or prisoners. His eyes fell on a small figure huddled in a corner, whimpering and shaking, her face buried in her knees.
"Tony, I got one." He said to someone through a microphone.

He hesitated for a second, considering how to approach the figure. He slowly stepped towards the person, putting his shield on his back and putting his hand out in the process.

He put a hand on (Y/n)'s shoulder, causing her to flinch and try to make herself even smaller, if that was possible. He said in a soothing voice,
"It's ok. We're the good guys. We want to help you."

(Y/n) froze at his words and slowly peeked up at him. He watched her eyes grow wide as she said,
"Are you real?" Steve's heart broke a little as he heard the girl's voice crack as she asked the question. How long has she been here? He asked himself.

(Y/n) has dreamt of this day for as long as she could remember. She didn't know the last time she had been outside or the last time she felt the sunshine on her skin. She couldn't remember freedom.

She let herself go as she felt his arms grasp under her legs and her shoulders and he carried her bridal style out of the base. She rested her hand on his chest as she drifted to sleep in his arms. She couldn't help the little smile that was forming on her face, knowing she was finally free. At least from this place.