Chapter 2

(Y/n) blinked awake and was blinded by the fluorescent lights on the ceiling, a big adjustment from what she was used to. She scanned the room in a panic, unsure of whether Hydra had recaptured her or not. She observed the cleanliness of the room and the light paint on the walls. Really clean. Definitely not Hydra then. She thought to herself, relaxing a bit.

She focused more carefully on the details of the room, now that she felt at ease. There was a television perched in top left corner of the wall, a clock on the top right, sitting adjacent to the television. There was a door on her right under the clock, next to what she assumed to be a bathroom. When she looked to her left, she saw a large window, displaying the landscape.

There was a lush, green forest, filled with pine trees. The forest sat next to a field of grass, filled with a variety of colors of wildflowers. 

Grass. When was the last time I felt grass? She wondered, imagining the feeling of grass beneath her bare feet. Her eyes wandered down to her feet and saw she was sitting in a bed with a blue cotton blanket and white sheets draped over her legs. panic rippled through her body when she saw all of the wires and tubes attached to her.

Why does everyone want to connect wires to me? She thought, yanking them off of her. Just as she started ripping them from her skin, Steve walked in.

"No no no. Don't do that please." He said quickly, extending his hand to her as he saw her ripping her IV away from her as fast as she could. Her hands froze, halting their previous activity as she looked up at him with questioning eyes.

She hadn't really gotten a good look at him before. He had very handsome features along with a pair of kind, blue eyes. He wore a padded suit with the colors of America's flag and a star on the chest. She felt comfortable looking at him. She would feel forever grateful for him saving her from Hydra. 

"It's to keep you healthy. They are going to help you."
He said as he pressed the button for the nurse to put the IV back in.

"I'm glad you're awake. How are you feeling?" He said with a small smile.

"Who are you?" The girl asks, ignoring his previous question.

"My name is Steve Rogers. I also go by Captain America. How are you feeling?"

The girl couldn't help but giggle at his name. Captain America? What a silly thing to go by. She thought to herself.

"I feel okay, Captain." She says, emphasizing the Captain, shooting him a shy smile.

"Great. Well, we should be able to get you out of here really soon. Your file says you have no living relatives, so we have to put you in a foster home until they find you a permanent family." He says with a small frown, not wanting to have to put her in a foster home. 

(Y/n) hadn't thought about what life would be like outside of Hydra. She had given up hope as she spent her days and nights alone in a filthy room. She didn't think about what her life would look like if she had gotten out. She couldn't remember ever feeling wanted or loved by a family or parent.

Would she ever feel that? Would she spend years in the system until she finally got too old to be wanted? Then she would be on her own, having little education to do her any good out in the real world.

(Y/n) quickly wiped away a tear that had escaped the corner of her eye as she thought about her hopeless future, not wanting to show the Captain how upset she was.

But he saw.

He felt horrible as he got her ready for the foster home, giving her a change of clothing and seeing the empty look in her eyes as she accepted the clothes.

"Wait here for a second. I'll be right back. You change while I'm gone, okay?" He said to her as he moved towards the door.

He went and filled out the paperwork to take her out of the hospital, dreading what was coming next.