Chapter 5

(Y/n) startled awake out of her nightmare. She looked at the clock on her nightstand. 1 o'clock in the morning. She had sweat dripping down her back, yet she felt cold at the same time. She got up and moved over to her dresser. When she opened it up, she found an assortment of clothes that tony had gotten for her. She picked a graphic t-shirt and pulled it on, discarding her other shirt onto the floor.

She decided to get familiar with the building while there was no people around. Surely no one was up at this time.

She slid on a pair of knee socks and headed out of her room. The place was peaceful and quiet. She explored the base, taking note of the different things she could do through the day. There was a swimming pool, a movie theater, a gym, and lots of other cool and unnecessary rooms.

She came upon a room with glass windows and she peeked inside. She saw Tony working on something with equipment and cool gadgets displayed all around him.

She decided to go talk to him. As she shuffled into the room, Tony looked up to see (Y/n) give him a sweet smile.

"Hey. What are you doing up?" Tony said as she sat on a table across from him.

"Nightmare." She responded in a tired voice.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Tony said, standing up.

"OK." She began, "At Hydra, they would do experiments on me. They were like torture. They would strap me down and inject me with things. It would burn and sting like hell. When they were done with me, they would just put me in my room for days until they needed me again." She said, sniffling, trying not to cry.

Tony moved closer to her, rubbing her back to comfort her.

"I was back there in my nightmare. Hydra had me again. I thought it was real until I woke up." She said, beginning to cry.

"It's OK. You're safe now. We can protect you. You can't get hurt anymore. I promise." He said in a soothing voice, pulling her in for a hug. She accepted the hug, holding onto him tight.

After a couple of seconds of crying, she pulled away, wiping her tears from her face.

"What are you working on?" She said in a quiet voice, wanting to change the subject to a lighter topic.

"A new suit. Do you want to help?" He asked her in an encouraging voice. She nodded her head and got off of the table.

She handed him things when he asked her to while they chatted for hours. She finally got too tired and fell asleep in his chair.

When she woke up, she was in her bed again. She didn't know how she got there, but she was glad she talked to Tony. He made her feel safe and they got to know each other better.

Maybe she could finally be happy. Maybe Tony could be the father she had always wanted.

——————————————————

As (Y/n) walked into the room, she spotted Tony leaning against the counter of the communal kitchen as he spoke to Steve who was eating a bowl of cereal while sitting on a stool. She had made a mental note of where the kitchen was last night while making her rounds.

They both stopped their conversationlooked up and as she walked in. They greeted her and offered her breakfast. She decided to eat whatever Steve was eating. It was a bowl of bland cereal. Steve didn't like to eat the sickeningly sweet sugary cereal brands.

She sat on one of the stools next to Steve as she ate her breakfast. Tony started to tell her the plan for the day.

"Today, I think it's a good idea to introduce you to everyone now that you're settled in. What do you think, Steve?" He said looking over at the Captain.

"I think that's a great idea." He said, playfully bumping (Y/n)'s shoulder with his.

Her stomach twisted at the idea of meeting new people. She wanted to meet everyone, but meeting so many people at once made her nervous.

She nodded her head in approval and put her and Steve's empty cereal bowls in the sink.

"I'm gonna go get dressed." She said, waking back to her room.

When she was finished getting dressed, Tony had decided how to have (Y/n) meet everyone. He wanted to have her meet everyone at a family dinner. She would be able to just sit and listen, not having to make much conversation. She would be able to see what everyone was like, comfortably.

Tony had decided to fill up their day with fun before the dinner. He wanted to take her all over New York City. She had never seen any of it, so he wanted to show her the sights.

They had a great day together. He felt like a proud father. He held her hand when they crossed the street, he bought her souvenirs, and he brought her to try pizza for the first time. (Y/n) had a great time too.

Tony was hilarious and easy to make conversation with. She felt herself getting closer to him, considering him as more of a father the more time she spent with him. She would remember that day forever.

——————————————————

When (Y/n) and Tony got back, they prepared for dinner. She helped him make an easy dish that could feed a lot of people; spaghetti and meatballs.

(Y/n) had a better time than expected at dinner. It was an evening filled with laughter, exciting stories, and conversation. She learned a lot about her new family.

(Y/n) had ended the night happy and full. She had thought that maybe she wouldn't have a nightmare that night because of her wonderful day.

She was wrong.

She woke up again, frightened. She wiped the tears from her face and sprung out of bed. She wanted to go looking for Tony. She hesitated for a moment, realizing she didn't know where his room was. She hadn't found it on her 1 o'clock adventure the night before.

"Um... Hello, F.R.I.D.A.Y.? Can you tell me where Tony's room is please?" She sweetly asked.

After retrieving the directions from the AI she headed to Tony's room. She stood outside of the door, not knowing what to do. Do I knock? Can I just walk in? No. That's weird. I'll knock. She thought, laughing silently at the ridiculous conflict in her head.

She knocked on the door and heard a sleepy "Come in" from the other side after a short pause.

She shyly opened the door and shuffled into Tony's room, spotting him in his bed, looking as if she had interrupted his sleep.

"Oh I'm sorry. Did I wake you? I'll just leave." She said, backing up towards the door.

"No no don't leave. What's wrong, sweetheart? Did you have another nightmare?" He said, motioning her to come closer to him.

She nodded her head, walking closer to the bed. "Can I sleep in here?"

"Of course you can." Tony said, moving over and unfolding the covers for her to get in. She settled in and murmured a quiet goodnight to Tony who quickly returned it. She fell into a deep sleep, having no more nightmares that night.

She felt comforted by Tony's presence. She felt safe. He felt like someone she had never had before; a father.