VII: Flashback

Well, I got a sudden inspiration to write this, and since I haven't updated for a while I thought I might as well publish it now. Two chapters in one day, are you proud of me? ;)

Hope you enjoy this slightly different chapter! Don't forget to let me know what you think, thank you! 

Estay POV

1978

She knew that look in William's eyes. The look that said, something miserable has just happened at home and he had become newly determined to get the hell out of this town someday. The anger simmering behind green irises, tinged by helplessness. He and Izzy were only sixteen years old, she was only thirteen, yet they all knew the cruelty of the world only too well.

They were an unlikely bunch of kids, all outcasts, all hopelessly addicted to the God-knows-what's-happening highs and lows of their messy lives. William had barely a home; Izzy had barely a family; Estay had barely a semblance of sanity left.

They daydreamed when they were meant to be in history and smoked when they were meant be in PE, turning up only to music lessons where William sung out his heart and Estay and Izzy played out their sorrows. The school had long ago given up sending letters home to berate their attendance. William intercepted any of his mail before his parents could get to it; Izzy's parents had enough faith in a music career that they didn't care whether he could do maths; and Estay... well, there weren't any parents to receive it, not ones that cared or were even fully aware of the world.

To anyone else, they must have seemed lonely, but they weren't, not really, as long as they had each other. Axl loved Estay and Estay was too scared to admit she loved him; Izzy loved Axl and acted like Estay's brother. They were complicated, so complicated, from the outside, but to them it was pure simplicity, even though they were blind towards the tangled web of love between them.

It was that year, at thirteen years old, that everything had crumbled into white powder and overwhelming worldly grief for Estay. Too young to know any better, too young to know how to stop. It felt nice, she knew that much, to not care for a while. Izzy had once told her it did, the words slipping out before he could worry for his friend, so she'd taken his word for it until the curiosity got too much.

Red hair was chaos, black hair was melancholy, brown hair was insanity. And that was how they were, until it all went wrong, as wrong as it could go. The slippery slope collapsed.

She hadn't seen them for nine long years since then, and she'd tried to move on, she almost had.

But the Fates weren't going to make her life any easier any time soon.

Edit 21/8/18: 250 reads, wow! I know that doesn't sound much compared to some authors, but each and every read means a lot to me so thank you so much!