XV: No One Needs The Sorrow

Axl POV

"So... make yourself comfortable." It was strange how things could be so awkward with someone you used to know so intimately, but the air in Axl's apartment was thick with things yet to be said as he and Layla sat down on the sofa, making occasional eye contact before looking away in nervousness each time. 

Steeling himself, Axl looked directly at her, reminded of the tear tracks on her cheeks by his gaze. "First things first, what's up with the tears?"

A bubble of laughter escaped from Layla's throat, mixed with a sob in a picture of miserable hysteria. "You sure you want to know?" It was the same voice he knew, tainted by her upset, but very much Layla nonetheless.

"Of course. We're not going to get anywhere if I don't even know what's wrong right now. I know there's a lot to go through, and it's not going to be fun, but we've got to start somewhere." He moved slightly closer as he spoke, using his fingers to tilt her chin upwards. "Look at me, Layla. It's Will. Find it in yourself to trust me."

Brown eyes, sparkling with tears, met his as she took a deep breath. "You know Roger? He left Lafayette at the same time I did." Axl nodded, waiting for her to continue. "He lives in the apartment block I was coming out of. I spent the night. But it's not what you think," she added, catching the combination of jealousy and worry that briefly crossed his features.

Even now, she could read him better than anyone else.

"He and I... we're a support network, I guess. Whenever things go to hell, I go to see him. And between realising you were here, and my best friend going into a coma, which I feel to blame for..." she shook her head, trying to organise her thoughts. "I went out for a drink to drown my sorrows, decided that wasn't working, then went to see Roger." Layla broke off the eye contact, resting her head on her hands with elbows on her knees as she stared across the room, a miserable laugh escaping again as her voice rose in pitch. "I fucked him. Because that's what you do when you realise the love of your life now lives in the same city as you, right? Run away and tell yourself that alcohol and an unhealthy relationship will solve your problems." Sarcasm dripped from her bitter tone, and she stood up.

"You know what? You don't want anything to do with me. You've clearly sorted your life out, and I'll just drag you down again. I've got to go."

"Don't!" Axl stood, grabbing Layla's sleeve as she made towards the door. "Please," he said, voice softening.

I can't lose her again. Not after being so close.

"Look, I'm not saying what you did last night is a healthy coping mechanism, because it's not. But it doesn't mean you're a bad person, or that you've screwed up your life. You've made a new start here, too. I saw you in the studio, I saw you in the bar. You've got a good thing going. And if you go now... who's to say last night won't repeat itself? We've got a chance for closure, for a new era. Please don't throw it away." He wondered if he sounded as desperate as he felt, expression pleading with her as she stopped and looked at him.

Layla bit her lip, pulling her sleeve out of his grip to wipe her eyes as she considered. "Okay," she said, after what seemed like forever. "I'll stay. But I won't blame you if you hate me."

"I don't hate you!" Axl was shocked at the fact that she could even entertain that thought. "Layla, I - I resented you for leaving, of course I did. But that was only because I was selfish. I wanted you around, because I loved you. And I still do. I can never keep a girl, because I'm always comparing them to you. It was always you."

"I - I don't know what to say," she almost whispered, shocked expression gazing back at Axl. 

"You don't have to," he responded, stepping closer. "Just stay. We'll work through everything, but it doesn't have to be now. Let's just get to know each other again."

"I'd love that," Layla responded, finally allowing herself to smile at him, holding her hand out and lacing her fingers with his. "Let's sit down."