VIII: You Know That I Remember When We Met

This is a slight filler but needed to bridge the plot so I hope you don't mind the shortness. I should hopefully be publishing the next chapter soon. Sorry for the semi-hiatus, life's getting busy again at the moment but I'm doing my best to find time to write. Thank you all so much for reading to this point, love you guys!

Estay POV

Her past had well and truly caught up with her. 

Estay's head spun as she scrubbed the last plates of her shift, rubbing with her fist clenched around the cloth as if the residues were the ghosts she wished to banish from her life.

But she was never going to see him again; she was going to go out of her way to avoid that rabbit hole of memory and pain, she told herself. She had to. Because that was the only way she could banish those ghosts: just carrying on.

She could not let them beat her again.

Pacing the dishes back in the appropriate places with hands shaking, despite the determination rising in her soul, Estay hung up the half-apron and left the bar in the usual routine manner with her body on autopilot as her mind raced.

I can't go through that again.

But hell, I wish I could go back to what it was like before everything got so complicated.