Chapter 1

The leaf had just suffered a huge tragedy.

It was November 4th and Koto Namikaze was sitting at her new desk. She had received word around two weeks ago that she was chosen as the 5th Hokage. The inauguration was last week and she was starting to get used to the job.

The academy had started this week and so she was going over a list of the first year students when one student caught her eye, Uchiha Itachi. He was the Uchiha clan heir, and she remembered hearing about him from Shisui a couple of times. He was very promising so she made a mental note to keep an eye out for him and a continued with her paperwork.

About two hours had past and Koto took a paper from the 'to do' pile read it over. It was a list of , every orphan that the nine tails attack created.

Koto scanned over the list only for a disappointed frown to cover her face. Uzumaki Naruto wasn't on it. After she was made hokage she managed to convince the elders to let her take guardianship of Naruto until he was eight and would enter the academy, but still the was no mention of Naruto on any paper relating to the orphaned children of the nine tails attack. She knew that they wanted to keep his jinchuriki status a and heritage a secret but she would not stand for her nephew's existence to be covered up!

Time skip

Eight years have past since that tragic day that the kyuubi attacked konoha.

As per her deal with the elders This was the day that Naruto entered the academy and she would give up guardianship of him.

Koto had arranged for Naruto to move to an apartment only about ten minutes away from the hokage mansion so that if he needs anything she is always close by.

During the time that Naruto stayed with his 'aunt Koto' as he called her (though that wasn't wrong, she is his biological aunt he doesn't know that) he became incredibly close with his cousins Namikaze Kaito and Haruko. Kaito was younger then Naruto by eleven months and Haruko was older then him by six. Naruto also became quite close to his uncle Izuna (Koto's husband). They became incredibly close since Koto was working most of the day and Izuna stayed home for the first year and was generally home more than Koto.

"I'm gonna miss you guys so much, dattebayo!" Naruto exclaimed as he hugged his family at the entrance to the academy.

"Naruto, we're still gonna be here. You'll see Kai and Haruko at the academy and you can come by the hokage mansion anytime" Izuna told Naruto while hugging him close.

"You guys go find some seats, the entrance ceremony is about to start" Koto told them as she left to talk to the academy principal.