Ch 13: Our Mission, Our Goal

Looking at that mask, I could feel the dread seep in. Without a doubt, that man was who we were looking out for.

"Sorry about my daughter; she's been horsing around too much so she's a bit scraped up. Worries me sick!" Chisaki confessed. 

Me and Izuku stayed in our positions, eyes widening. "Your hood and mask slipped off again! You sure you made it correctly?" 

Mirio came from behind and flicked on Izuku's mask, quickly responding to the situation. I saw what he was trying to do. Our expressions showed exactly what we were thinking. If Chisaki read any further into what we were giving off, he would've known something was up and it would've compromised the job.

I stood up, still keeping a hand on the girl named 'Eri', and Mirio held a conversation with Chisaki. "That kickass mask; you must be from the Precepts."

"Yeah," Chisaki trailed off. "But don't worry about this old thing...I'm just sensitive to germs. This is the first time I've ever seen any of you. What are you here for?"

"A convention is happening nearby, and we just went out for food; we're on our way back now." I intervened and gave Mirio a look. The two kids began to walk away, and I was going to as well, if it weren't for the small hands gripping my coat anxiously.

I held onto Eri and looked at her. "Don't...don't go..." She cried, tears coming out of her fearful eyes. I held her in my hands and rubbed her back. 

I was overwhelmed. "Your daughter seems awfully frightened."

"Oh, it's just because I scolded her," Chisaki responded. My mind worked at a fast pace. I needed to leave before things got worse, but I couldn't just ignore the pleas of a child. 

I could hear Mirio as he put his hand on my shoulder. "We need to go."

"I gotta say, these aren't the type of bandages you can get from just 'horsing around.'" I said. 

"She falls down a lot." Chisaki insisted. 

Izuku stepped in. "A child this small, so scared she's shaking and won't say a word? I really, really don't think that's normal."

"Please don't go imposing your own ideas of what's 'normal' on other people's home lives."  Chisaki criticized. 

"It takes all kinds, right?" Mirio inquired. 

I could sense Mirio's thought's, but I ignored. If we were to leave now, it would be more suspicious. I held Eri close to me. I thought to myself:

'Whenever I see a child tremble, there is no way I can turn away my eyes!'

"What are you doing to her?" I looked Chisaki straight in the eyes with determination. 

The plague mask man scoffed. "I swear, people like you are so sensitive to the smallest things." He turned away and faced the alley. "It's embarrassing...I'd rather not talk about in public. Could you follow me over there?"

Mirio gave me a look. 'I hope you can handle this, (Y/N)-sensei...'

We walked into the alley when Chisaki began to talk. "To tell you the truth, I've been worried about Eri lately. No matter what I say, she does nothing but rebel."

"Worried about raising her...is it? That sounds rough..." Izuku implied. 

"It is...Kids are hard to understand, let me tell you. It honestly makes me think...I could turn into a very different kind of person." Chisaki suggested, peeling off a glove. I could see him give a bitter glare, directed at Eri. She jumped out of my arms and ran straight to Chisaki. My eyes widened. "What now? Are you done with your little tantrum?"