School's Such a Bore

Michelles's POV:
I walked into the cafeteria and went straight to an empty table with my book. Lunch time was never really my thing. In fact, if we were graded on it, I would get an F. I'm not really a social person. It's not that I don't want to be, I want to make friends more than anything. I want someone to sit with at lunch, to laugh with about the smallest of things, and even to complain about teachers and homework with. But because of my poor social skills, I just couldn't have that. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I haven't tried to make friends, it's just that every time I talk to someone I get shy, and I come across as bored and sarcastic. And it doesn't exactly help that I look like I've given up on my appearance. I can't help it though. I'm family is poor. So most of my clothes are hand-me-downs.

I looked up when I felt someone tapping me on the shoulder. It was Peter. Peter and I weren't really close, but he treated me like he would treat anyone else. He was one of the ones who didn't avoid me or bully me. He was such a kind, happy person, and for that I looked up to him. What I found so difficult to do completely effortlessly. I wish I could be as optimistic and cheerful as him.

"Hey, can we sit here?" He ask me, as his friend just took a seat. "Uhh, yeah sure, I mean, your friends already seated sooo... yeah..." I awkwardly trailed off. 'God damn it, I screwed up again' I thought to myself, sighing. "Ned!" Peter exclaimed, raising his hands as if to say why. "What? My pie was going cold" Ned responded, as though it was the most obvious thing. "Sorry" Peter shook his head before sitting down.

Peter and Ned began their conversation as I zoned out and focused on my book. They had just asked to sit with me because the seats were empty, not because they wanted to be my friends. This happens sometimes since the cafeteria gets so full, but usually people don't ask if they can sit there. They all know I'm a loner, so know it's not like I'm saving the seat for anyone.

".... Michelle?" Peter asked. I only caught the end of the question. "I'm sorry, what?". I was confused. Why are they talking to me, people don't usually do that. "What do you think about the pies here? Ned thinks they are the best thing in the world but I just think they are nasty, I mean, umm... no offence if you, you know, like the... pies... but um anyway, what do you think?" Peter awkwardly trailed off. It was kind of cute and clumsy. Wait, is he blushing? Well, it's probably just from embarrassment. "I don't know...". 'Damn it, ok, lets try this again' I thought. "I've uh, never had one before, so I wouldn't know" I said. It's true, I've never had the cafeteria food, I try to save money by just bringing a cheese sandwich for lunch, that is, if I bring lunch. "Wait, WHAT!" Ned practically screamed. "Ned shhh it's not a big deal, I'm sure plenty of people have never had the pies here" Peter responded. "No, this...this is just unacceptable! Here, take a bite of mine" by this point, Neds half eaten pie was infront of my face. He was trying to be nice though, so I'll just ignore this slightly disgusting incident. "NED!" Peter was turning bright read from embarrassment. "No, it's fine... umm... thanks? But... I think I'll pass" I responded. Peter looked like he was about something, but he was interrupted.

"Hey nerd, finally got some friends?" A snarky jock asked from behind me. 'Finally got some more brain cells? Or have the five that were left died already?' I thought back, I wish I could say it so much. I'm so sick of the shit they give me. "Dude, just lay off"... Wait, was Peter sticking up for me? "And what are you gonna do if I don't Parker? Bore me to death with science stuff" the jock replied. Gosh he's an idiot, I can't let Peter get brought into this just because he was trying to help. Before I could stop myself, I had already spoken.

"Leave him alone" I mumbled. 'Oh shit' I thought. "What did you say nerd?" The jock hissed. Well, I guess there's no going back now. "I said, leave. Him. Alone." I was firmer this time. I couldn't back down now. "We'll discuss this later dork" he spat at me before walking away. 'Can't he punctuate a sentence without nerd or dork? Or atleast come up with a better insult?'.

"Thanks Michelle, you didn't need to do that though, I would have been fine" Peter said. He seemed concerned for me, and even a little bit shocked. Whilst I appreciated his concern, I needed to make sure that he wouldn't get involved, for his own sake. "No, thanks for trying to help, but it's best if you don't get involved. Bye" I stood up to leave. "Wait Miche-" saved by the bell I guess.

~~~~~~~~~~~~time skip~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was running a little bit late after school because I had stayed back to talk to a teacher about extension work, so the halls were empty when I finally got to my locker, or so I thought.

————————trigger warning————————

Just as if finished collecting my books from my locker, someone slammed the door shut, and before I could react, my back met the cold hard metal with force.

"Hello dork" the jock that I had come to know as Flash smirked at me. "What do you want Flap?" I asked. "That's not my name!" He slammed is fist into the locker near my head and I tried my best to keep an emotionless facade. "And don't you remember? I told you we'd have a little chat later. Well, it's later now" his expression got darker and more maniacal as he spoke. "Let's have some fun, shall we?" He asked. I just glared at him, and before I had even blinked, his fist collided with my face. "This will teach you to talk back to me" he spat. He proceeded to punch me in the stomach, causing me to double over before he pushed me to the ground and started kicking me. I had curled up into a foetal position, trying to protect myself as I coughed up a little bit of blood. "Remember this dork, you do as I say. I say jump, you say how high. And if you talk back to me again, well, let's just say that I won't be so nice next time." He spat on me before walking away.

Once he was gone I got up and dusted myself off before going to the bathroom to wipe away the blood and spit before walking home. It took me a while to get there since I was in pain. It wasn't the first time Flash had beat me up, but that doesn't mean it hurt any less.

Once I got home I went straight to my room and collapsed onto my bed. "Isn't their more to life?" I whispered, before falling asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Authors note: peters POV will come later 😋