Nickname Time

I could see a silhouette at the window and I was so confused. I had no idea who it could be or how they could have gotten there at first. But then I realised exactly who it was.

"Spider-man?" I whispered. I slowly got up and tested my legs before I hesitantly walked over to the window. It was so dark out that I couldn't be 100% sure of who was there since I couldn't see them, so I cautiously reached out to open the window.

"Hiya Michelle" Spider-mans cheery voice suddenly broke the silence when he poked his head through the now open window. The only problem was that he had scared the heck out of me, so I may or may not have dropped the window on his head/neck.

"H-help" he choked out while he flailed. "Ah I'm so sorry!" I panicked. I grabbed his arm and opened the window to help him in. It wasn't easy because of the IV in my arm and the fact that I was in quite a lot of pain, but I managed it.

"Remind me never to surprise you" Spider-Man was panting while he spoke. "Couldn't you have just used your webs to stick to the wall outside of the window and hold yourself up? I'm assuming that that's how you got up here". I could tell that Spider-Man was embarrassed because of the way he had his hand on the back of his neck and the awkward little chuckle he did. "Well, when you're 4 stories high and barely able to breathe because you're stuck in a window and it's cutting off your oxygen a little, things tend to slip your mind" he chuckled a little. "But anyways, I came to see how you're feeling. Yesterday was pretty rough".

"I'm fine, just a few minor injuries" I told him. I didn't want to make them sound worse than they are.

Spider-Man walked over to my chart and picked it up, quickly glancing through it. "Geez Michelle, I mean, these aren't major, but they aren't exactly minor either. They really did a number on you" he seemed shocked. "It's nothing I'm not used to" Spider-Man went silent at this. "What?" He sounded worried.

"It's nothing" I brushed it off and quickly tried to change the subject. "By the way, how do you know my name?" I was curious, I don't remember telling him.

This made him pause for a second. "I uh" more silence. "You told me before you passed out?" It sounded more like a question than a statement, and to be honest, I couldn't remember telling him, but I decided to just let it slide for now. I guess it's not really important.

"I don't really remember that, but okay".

We fell into a comfortable silence, or atleast it was comfortable for me. Then I realised something. "Hey Spider-Man?" I asked. "Hmm?". "Can I give you a nickname? I just think Spider-Man's a bit to long to say every time" it's true, it's annoying to have to say the whole thing, plus it's not a name, so it feels weird. Giving him a nickname would make him feel more like a friend and less like a comic book character. "Sounds good to me!" He chirped. "Any suggestions?" I was curious to see what he'd come up with. "You could abbreviate it and call me SM" he responded. I just stared at him blankly. He clearly didn't realise what he'd just said, but after a few seconds, I think it sunk in.

"Wait... OH NO PLEASE DON'T CALL ME THAT!!! I didn't realise! Aaah I'm so stupid!" (type in define sm on the internet if you don't get this) he began to rant. I couldn't stop laughing at this. "Ok SM" I said. "NO PLEASE!" He begged. "Alright then, hmm, how about Spidey?" He seemed relieved at this. "Y-yeah, that's way better".

After chatting for a few minutes he noticed the time and realised that I would need to get some sleep, so he said goodbye and began to climb out of the window. "Oh, wait" he paused. "If you get into trouble again just use this" he handed me a really cute bracelet. "Press this button 5 times in a row it will call me and send me your location" he pointed to a tiny discreet button with a spider symbol on it. "Or if you just want to chat or, you know, uh, hang out" he seemed nervous "then press this button" he pointed to another hidden button that had a small phone symbol on it.

I was stunned. "Why are you giving me this?" I asked him. "I wanna be friends, umm, that is, if you want to be?" That was so cute. "I'd love to" I smiled.

"I've gotta go now, see you around Michelle". "Bye Spidey, don't get stuck in the window on your way out" I laughed. Judging by the piece of his mask that seemed to be protruding out of the area that I'm assuming his mouth was in, he was poking his tongue out at me. Then he vanished into the night and I went to bed.

———————— next morning ————————

I woke up to a knock at my door and groaned. I'm so not a morning person.

After a few seconds the door opened and Peter walked in. "Hey Michelle!" He seemed happy. "Hey Peter" I mumbled. I was still trying to wake myself up. "Oops, sorry we woke you up. Ned and I thought we'd come visit you before school" this confused me. "You and Ned?" I asked. Peter turned around and paused when he noticed that no one was behind him. "Where'd Ned go?" He said to himself. And right on cue, we could hear shouting.

"PETER!" He screeched from down the hall. "PETER WHICH ROOM ARE YOU IN THIS IS IMPORTANT!" He yelled. "Peter are you in here" I heard a door creek followed by an old lady screaming. "Sorry ma'am! Oh gosh I didn't wanna see that!" He exclaimed before he continued to run down the halls. "PETE-". "IM RIGHT HERE" Peter shouted out, trying to get Ned to be quiet. "Peter you won't believe it! I went to the kids room here and guess what, I found the piece of the LEGO Death Star that I'm missing in their LEGO box! Finally I can complete it!" He seemed so happy as he held up his little piece of LEGO. "Hey give that back!" A rather irritated seeming child commanded as he charged at Ned. He sprinted over and jumped up towards Neds hand, managing to snatch the LEGO piece before he ran off. "HEY GIVE THAT BA-" Ned was about to chase the young boy but Peter had grabbed the back of his shirt and the collar chocked Ned as he tried to run after him, stopping him mid sentence.

"Aaaaanyway, like I said, WE thought we'd come visit you before school" he emphasised the word 'we' for Ned's sake. He was currently pouting at Peter. "Thanks guys" I said. "Has your family come to visit you yet?" Peter asked. I'd always hated questions about my families absence. "They're... busy" I told them. Hoping that they wouldn't ask any questions. "Wait seriously?! They haven't come to see if you're okay?!" Peter looked shocked. "That's messed up dude" Ned said, which earned him an elbow to the ribs from Peter.

"I'm used to it" I didn't want to tell them to much about my family since we'd only really just become friends, so I kept responses vague. "They aren't home at the moment anyways".

"Will they be home when you get out of hospital?" Peter asked. "Probably not" was all I said. "So there's not gonna be anyone at home to care for you when you get out?" He asked. "Nope". "How about I look after you then?" He asked.