CERTAIN PHYSICOCHEMICAL TRANSFORMATIONS: 14

14. THE DEMON SAID: "TAKE YOUR NEIGHBOUR'S HOUSE, WIFE AND SERVANTS."

I will be chasing a starlight

Until the end of my life,

I don't know if it's worth it anymore (...)

I just wanted to hold you in my arms

(Starlight, Muse)

Set dragged himself into the living room. Thanks to the wine he drank the previous night, he had swollen eyes, a dry mouth and a pounding headache. It felt as though it had been centuries since he could sleep on a goddamn bed, and the one he just left was huge and fucking soft. He wanted to enjoy it until it hurt, but Maria had thrown him out of bed at seven sharp.

The little bitch had barged in his room and opened the window. He'd turned around to keep sleeping and she'd started ranting and hollering. Then, her hands had pulled on his bedcover. Still being ignored, she'd decided to pinch his thighs until he got up, rumbling like an old man.

Set went straight to crash out on the sofa. Butt up, he stretched and spread his legs – that thing was so huge there was room for another four people. He groaned at the freshness of the leather on his bare skin. As his brain was still throbbing in his skull, he massaged his forehead to get a bit of release.

Maria called out to him again. She said she brought fresh croissants from the café, because Sybil asked her to have breakfast as soon as he came back from his morning walk. Set didn't give a shit about that. He was so worn out that his eyelids shut themselves and he blacked out.

The peace lasted for just a few moments. Then something dropped on his head. He half-opened his eyes to see the white clothes from the previous day. He frowned as he pushed them aside.

"Hey, knock it off," he barked, glaring at the girl, his cheek still pressed to the sofa.

Maria scowled back, her hand still mid-air after throwing the clothes. She snorted as she withdrew her arm and crossed it with the other against her chest. She was ready to fight.

"Get dressed." She tapped her foot on the floor.

Set rolled his eyes.

"The appointment at Guerlain Spa is at 8:30. You. Have. To. Get. Ready." Commanding skills were a clear legacy of her good Italian family.

The boy sat up and crossed his arms, his legs too. As Maria glanced at his body, her doll face turned slightly red. She looked away, her eyes darting around the room.

Set stood up and walked to her. His heavy steps stopped an inch before reaching the girl. His hands itched with the need to grab her and shake some sense into her head. He was uncomfortable enough just being himself. He didn't give a shit about that whatever spa. Still, he was clearheaded enough to know better than to touch her.

"Stop. Bugging. Me," he spelled out, rage dripping down his words.

Not that it mattered, but he wasn't butt-naked to impress her. In fact, he was as pissed off about it as Maria could be, if not more. The previous night, after she'd taken his old clothes for washing, nobody had given him a change of underwear.

Sure as hell, he wasn't going to ask for it.

He did live as a hobo, but he despised begging. Especially asking for more than he'd already received. He'd learned from life to expect nothing and to be grateful if something came. That was it. That rule had always kept him from disappointments. It was awfully rare to get a good dinner, a warm bath, clean clothes and a soft bed. So, he just slept naked.