Part 11

"Hold still and stop squirming!" Xiao scolded me as she was putting makeup on me.

It was the evening of the day of the ball.

Since I heard Taehyung and Eleanor's conversation yesterday, I never went near him. I asked Lady Anne to assign a new maid to nurse him and told her that I wasn't feeling well.

I couldn't bring myself to go near him. I just couldn't. I knew that they would someday marry each other but I couldn't accept that fact.

I would rather leave the castle and never step foot in here again than accept their marriage and live with them broken-hearted. My heart was crying in agony.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Xiao tilted her head, looking at me worried.

I nodded. "I'm sorry for causing you trouble, though."

She shook her head. "No, it's fine. I'm sure my parents would love to have you living with them," she smiled assuringly.

She finished doing my makeup and we walked out, into the ballroom. Our heels clicked loudly against the floor.

"So are you telling him today?"

I gulped. "Yes. In fact, I'm going over to his room right now."

She cheered for me and I parted my ways with her, changing directions towards his room.

My palms started sweating and I tried to calm my breathing. My heart was beating rapidly and I kept telling myself that I'll be fine.

I knocked on his room and he told me to enter.

He was all dressed up and looked like he was recovered completely. I smiled at that.

He was shocked to see me and quickly shuffled towards me. He held my face gently and inspected me from head to toe.

"Are you okay? Lady Anne said that you were not feeling well yesterday."

I pushed his hands away and forced a smile, "I'm fine. I came here to tell you something."

He blinked. "What is it?"

I pursed my lips and gulped harshly. "I'm resigning from my duties and going to live with Xiao's family."

He was frozen. His eyes were wide and I couldn't decipher his expression. Tears started prickling my eyes.

I cursed internally. I told myself that I wouldn't cry...

"Why?"

I looked down. I didn't want to tell him that I was doing it because of him.

"I thought this environment was difficult for me to live in, so I'm choosing a smaller and more peaceful place with a more 'Home' feel to it."

He didn't believe it.

"Don't..."

I looked up at him.

"Don't leave me. Please stay with me. I..." he whispered with a shaky voice.

I bit my lips. "I can't do that, I'm sorry."

I turned to leave before I showed him my tears, but he suddenly wrapped his arms around my waist and hugged me from behind.

"Please," he whispered again.

"I honestly don't understand your actions right now. You're marrying someone and yet you're here, hugging and pleading another woman not to leave you," I scoffed in disbelief.

He raised his head up from my shoulder. "You heard that? Is that why you're doing this?" He mumbled surprised.

I didn't care about anything at this point. I wanted to know.