Chapter Seventeen

Corrine turned the page of the book in her hands, a frown creasing her face as the heroine took her own life. This was certainly not the ending she was hoping for, she thought, sighing deeply. She had wasted several hours on a love story that was going nowhere but given the circumstances of the morning shower outside, she was stuck reading in her bedchamber. And her father? no doubt he was somewhere down stairs scheming something vile.

Exhaling, she threw the book to the bed and rose to her feet. It was too bad people didn't get to choose their parents, it was especially too bad she was stuck with the scum of the earth as a father who would do just about anything to remain relevant before the eyes of the society, including give her over on a platter to a man with the face of a monster.

It had been several days since she heard from Julius. Her father must have noticed it as well for his mood was sour of late. He would have engaged in debauchery but he was too broke.

Perhaps if she waited just a little while, the storm of being forced into marriage would pass and Julius might even find somebody else?

Sighing softly, she made her way to her window and glanced down. The rain had gone down tremendously and from the presence of the carriage before the building, she could only imagine what guest her father was entertaining downstairs. Perhaps yet another creditor was here to claim his own pound of her father's flesh? She hoped for her sake, that they would rip him apart completely.

"Lady Corrine? "The door pushed open and Corrine turned around just in time to see her maid, Clara, making her way into the room, a weary frown on her face.

"Well, hello Clara, is lunch ready just yet? "

Clara shook her head, brown eyes clouding. "My lord has instructed that I have you downstairs in an hour. "

Corrine frowned. "Why? "

Clara shook her head and clutched her hands before her.

"Certainly whatever it is he has gotten into, he has done worse. " She laughed bitterly.

"Nothing comes close, my lady. "

"What?! "

Swallowing, "my lord would have me prepare you for your wedding, immediately. "

♠♠♠

It was the worst hour of Corrine's life. She had cried, broken furniture and even threatened suicide but her father was determined to force her hand into marriage with the monster. So, in the last minute, she had conceded and had chosen this black dress in a bid to ward him off.

It was the dress she wore for her mother's funeral, carefully chosen to be a slap to his face, an insult to the monster.

And if the dress didn't do the trick, she thought, storming down the stairs with her maid pleading behind, she would give him a piece of her mind. She would tell him she would never yield her body to him, she would never love and most of all, she would never submit to him. She would defy his every command, would give herself over to other men and would drag his name through the mud.

Until he took hold of her father, and threatened him...

Corrine stared wide eyed at the man who defended her, the monster who was somehow transforming before her eyes, into a knight.

When he released her father and his gaze turned back to her, she saw humor in his eyes as he ran his gaze down the length of her dress.

Humor! Not anger, not rage, humor!

Certainly he was upset! She thought, eyes searching his for the slightest sign of anger. Still, she found none.

Holding out his hand to her, "Will you marry me?"

His words sent her heart racing and left her mouth dry and for the first time since she set her eyes on him, she thought something about him was lovely; his smile.

Forcing herself to remember the true reason for her anger, she found that it was completely gone.

Perhaps his face was scarred, but he treated her with more kindness than she had ever come across her entire life. He wasn't like the men of the ton for no man would stand to be insulted the way he was only a few minutes ago. No man would find her outfit hilarious. Certainly, no man would request her hand in marriage on the day of their wedding.

Who was Julius Talbot?

Corrine imagined him defending her forever, the thought sending a weird sensation of warmth across her skin. He would most likely shield her from her horrid father and well, perhaps marriage to him wouldn't be so terrible.

She didn't know if she nodded or not, but Julius smiled in response and took her hand. The Vicar rose from his position on the couch and began.

"Who are the witnesses?"

"Lady Talbot and Lord Elliot. " Her father said.

"Very well. Dearly beloved..."

Corrine found herself doubting her own decision. She had come downstairs to fight, not give in to this marriage. Yet, she doubted there was anything left to fight for. If she didn't marry, she'd be a pawn in her father's hands forever. He would use her to get what he wants and there was no certainty he wouldn't find a man with a cruel heart to marry her. Julius Talbot might have a scarred face, but she found herself believing he had a perfect heart.

"I do. " She turned to Julius and forced a smile to her lips.

His eyes widened in response, his hand settling on her face. She felt the way his hand trembled against her cheek and saw the way his eyes dilated.

"Lord Talbot? " She whispered, frightened as his other hand settled on her face.

"Ira. " His haunted murmur caused a cold shiver to race down her spine.

Taking a step back, she shook her head as he reached for her once more.

"Julius? " Lady Talbot came to stand between them. "Julius, are you alright? " She clutched his shoulders.

Shaking his head, he let out a loud growl, his hands pressed to his ears.

"Ira! " He fell to his knees, Corrine's legs taking her backwards as fear settled in her heart.

"Julius, Ira has remained..."

"Ira, fire, make-" His lips fell open, loud gasps escaping.

Corrine turned to her father who stood by the vicar, shaking like a leaf. What did she expect from the coward?!

"Lord Talbot!" She forced her legs forward and went to her knees before him. His teeth clattered and his fingers curled around the fabric of his suit as he held onto in desperation. "Lord Talbot, " She whispered gently, touching his chin and nudging it up.

Lady Talbot rose to her feet just then, tears running down her cheek. "Find a Physician," She yelled at the two men who stood motionless to the side.

"Of course! " Lord Elliot stammered.

Julius lifted his head slowly, haunted eyes coming to rest on her. "Lord Talbot, who is Ira? " She nodded, smiling gently in an attempt to ease his suffering.

For he did suffer and her heart melted at the sight of him. She was wrong to have judged him so harshly, she realized.

"Ira, " He gasped, "She's my wife. "

Copyright © 2018 Lily Orevba All rights reserved.

A/N

I have literally been typing all day! Dare I say I deserve A Star? Or pretty please give me one? *puppy dog eyes*