Chapter Nineteen

Pain surged through his head as his eyelids flickered open. Moaning softly, he placed his hand on his forehead in a failed attempt to ease his pain.

Where was he? His blurry vision scanned the room and finally came to rest on a still figure beside him.

“Ira? ” He moaned softly, reaching out with shaky fingers to touch her hair. “Ira. ” A small smile curved his lips as he pushed his aching body forward and pulled her against himself.

The unfamiliar scent of lilacs filled his nostrils, forcing him to release his hold on her and move back.

Eyes widening in confusion, he watched as the stranger turned around.

“Lady Elliot?! ” He felt blood drain from his face as she struggled to a sitting position, the covers falling to her waist and exposing her bare body.

Afraid to glance down and find himself in the same state as Lady Elliot, Julius tightened his hold on the covers and pulled his eyelids shut in a failed attempt to still his pounding heart.

“Julius, ”

“Why are you here, in my bed?! ” He forced his eyelids apart and found she still maintained her position on the bed, her mouth agape.

“Julius… ” She breathed, inching closing.
Scrambling from her reach, he settled on the edge of the bed and hissed in frustration as the cold air touched his bare skin.

What happened? He tasked his brain for answers but found none. Perhaps he was too horrified to think properly, perhaps if he put distance between himself and Lady Elliot, he would remember what was happening.

And Ira… where was Ira?

His heart pounded at the thought of her, his arms aching to hold her close.

“Get dressed and get out! ” He pulled the covers around himself and struggled to his feet.

His vision blurring up as a result, he cursed in frustration and crumbled to the ground.
“Julius! ”

His head swam and tears blurred his vision.

“Julius. ” Lady Elliot’s blurry form appeared. Hand settling on his shoulder, he recoiled in disgust.

“Don't-” He shook her off. “Don’t  touch me, don’t ever touch me!” He yelled, struggling against her hold on him. But he was weak and for some reason, the pain in his head seemed to be doing nothing but intensifying.

“Julius, I know you do not remember, ” She whispered softly against his hair. “but I’m your wife. ”

Julius wanted to scream in frustration and shove the lying adultress from his arms but as he opened his mouth to speak, he suddenly remembered.

Pulling away with what was left of his strength, he shook his head and struggled to keep his eyelids apart. “Not- not you, Lady Elliot. ”

“Julius, please. ”

“You’re not my wife,” Losing the battle against the darkness, Julius wondered what it was Lady Elliot had done to him. First he finds himself trapped in a room with her unclad, then he finds that he is unable to control his limbs, then she tries to force him to believe she is his wife.
Anger pumped through his veins at the thought of her deception. He was no fool! He would not be fooled into a lie.

Reaching out with a shaky hand, he ran his fingers across her lovely face.

Too white, he thought, shifting his eyes from her pale skin to her deceptive eyes. His fingers glided slowly up her cheek, to her ear and finding their target, they buried themselves in her hair.