Chapter Twenty Nine

Ira didn't fall asleep. She instead laid contentedly in Julius' arms as the morning turned into noontime that day. Once, there had been a knock on the door and Julius had reluctantly slipped out of bed to ward the intruder off. Then, he had resumed his position beside her and had pulled her back into his arms where she belonged —where she was certain she would always be.

Sighing, she glanced up at him, and gently ran her hand over his scarred chin. “Julius?”

“Hm?”

“There is something you must know.” She straightened, assuming a sitting position beside him.

He turned to her. “Perhaps I must tell you something first.”

Nodding slowly, she understood that she couldn't evade the news of Corrine's pregnancy any further. “I already know, Julius. I know Lady Corrine is with child.”

She watched a troubled frown take over his face. “I must beg your forgiveness, Ira.” She started shaking her head, when he interrupted her. “I not only remember marrying you in India, I remember walking away from you that day. I remember asking you to leave.” She took her hand captive and pressed his lips to it. “No other memory from my past hurts me like the memory of walking away from you.”

She swallow, fighting the desire to cry. It had been a terrible experience, but she knew then that he hadn't been in love with her and while she didn't excuse his actions, she knew she couldn't go back to change them. The present was what mattered, and right now with him beside her, she knew he had finally fallen in love with her.

“What shall be done about Lady Corrine?” She asked the question that had been troubling her heart all morning.

“Our marriage is void because I was married to you when the ceremony with Corrine was conducted. I cannot do anything, Ira. I can only take responsibility for the child she is to bear. I shall not deny it, and if he is to be a boy, then he shall have a part in my will.”

“And Lady Corrine, do you love her?” She stiffened, dreading his response.

“I couldn't remember anything, but I still couldn't fall in love with Corrine. Yet, I knew I loved you the second you returned.”

Ira smiled then, placing her arm over his torso. She leaned further into his side and sighed in relief.

He smoothened her hair. “What was it you wanted to tell me?”

Her smile broadened. “You're already a father, Julius. We have a son.”

She felt him stiffen. Then, after a few seconds, his hands gently took hold of her shoulders and he pulled her away from him.

“What did you say?” He slowly whispered.

“Rey's your son, Julius.” His eyelids widened in delight, and she giggled. “And I'm pregnant, again.”

***

Flowers blossomed all around her, vibrant colors clouding her vision. A bird sat not too far away, whistling in delight, and the sun shone with all its brilliance down on the earth. For the first time in Corrine's life, she sat under the blazing heat of the sun, her head devoid of a bonnet, and her shoulders devoid of a scarf. Sweat beaded her forehead, her nightdress clinging to her slender form.

She had been sitting here for hours. Here, bearing the wrath of the sun, and the wrath of fate. She was paying for her deception, for taking advantage of a man's inability to remember his past. She was paying for using him to try to get away from the clutches of her father. She would pay the price for the rest of what was left of her life.

For a second, she remembered standing in Julius' bedchamber, and watching while he laid in bed with Ira. He clung to her, the love he had for her quite evident. Corrine had in that moment, become desperate. She had been desperate and afraid and would have done anything to get Julius to come back to her.

Her fingers ran up and down her flat stomach, a mirthless laugh escaping her lips.

“My lady.”

Finally, somebody decided to come in search of her. It had taken them how long to realize she was missing? An hour? Two? Perhaps three? She could barely tell the difference in time. Her back was stiff, her legs numb, and her body ached. Still, she didn't dare get up for she knew she had nowhere else to go.

Ignoring the voice behind her, she sat still, her eyes focused on nothing in particular.

“My lady. ” The voice was nearer this time. Perhaps before her? “May I please speak with you?” Julius. Corrine smiled bitterly. What did he want? Was he here to throw her out of his estate? Perhaps he had sent for her father, and the old fool was here to pick her up?

Having neglected to respond, Corrine heard Julius settle beside her. The faint smell of his skin drifted into her nostrils, making her nauseous. She could tell, just by sitting beside him, that he had spent the entire time in bed with Ira.

Unable to look at him for fear she would throw up, she sat still beside him.

“I shall arrange for the wellbeing of you and the child you are to bear. I shall not abandon either of you. I shall give him my name, and care for him. If you wish to live with him, I shall buy you a comfortable estate with as many servants and helps as you would please. And if you do not wish to live with him, I shall take him and he shall live here with me and Ira. You may visit however often you please.”

“And if I'm not indeed pregnant, my lord? Shall you toss me to the side? Shall you hand me over to my father?”

She heard him move close. “I have done a great injustice by ruining you, my lady. I understand that no honorable gentleman shall take you under his wings once we are separated. I understand that you are to live as a spinster for the rest of your life.”

Tears sprung to Corrine's eyes in that second; Julius was indeed right. Her's was to be a life of rejection and solitude. Surely, even her father would reject her. Refusing to let her tears fall, she straightened and squared her shoulders.

“I shall not return you like a piece of unwanted furniture, my lady. But I am unable to think of a way to earn your forgiveness.”

She scoffed. “A ship, and a new start would be more than sufficient, my lord.” She knew he wouldn't grant her request but it was worth the try. If she had a choice, she would take what was left of her life and sail away from Italy.

“Then it is yours.” Gasping, she turned sharply to him. Surely he was jesting! “I shall pass ownership of a vessel to you, along with its entire crew. I shall pay their wages, and you shall keep the profit. I shall also pay for an estate wherever you wish to live.”

Corrine felt her heartbeat slow down, her tears now slipping down her cheeks. Shaking her head, “Julius, I am not with child. I lied. Forgive me.”

He sat still for several seconds, and she almost imagined him escorting her off of his property for her deception. Just as she was about to fall to her knees and beg his forgiveness, he nodded. “I shall have a solicitor draw up the transfer documents.”

It was the last thing he said before rising to his feet and walking back into the building.

It was the last time she ever saw him again.

Copyright © 2018 Lily Orevba All rights reserved.