Chapter Eighteen

Corrine panicked.

Springing to her feet, she took hold of the vicar by the collar of his shirt. “Join us! ”

“What?! ” The man stared wide eyed at her.

Hands trembling, she released him and took a step back just as Lady Talbot was entering the room. “My lady, perhaps I must suggest I am wed to your son before the Physician shows up? ”

Lady Talbot's already wide eyes widened. She seemed pale and incapable of thinking properly. Good, Corrine thought. She didn't need the woman thinking properly if she was going to be wed to Julius today.

His confession of being married, frightened her and left her feeling hopeless. Corrine didn't know when it happened, but in only a few minutes, she had concluded that Julius was her only hope. She decided she could live with him and perhaps even find happiness with him. Marriage to him might not bring everything a real marriage would bring, but it would bring freedom from her father and Corrine desperately wanted to be free.

If they did get married and he decided he didn't want her anymore, then he would be required to divorce her properly. Surely he would even settle her with a home of her own, will he not?! She didn't know, but it was a risk she was willing to take.

“My lady, ” She began, forcing a smile to her lips. “If I am wed to your son before the Physician comes, I shall be in a better position to care for him until he is fully recovered. ”

“I-” Lady Talbot glanced down at her son who had assumed a fetal position and was now murmuring incoherently. “Perhaps this is best. ”

Nodding swiftly, she turned to the vicar just as her father entered the room once more.

“The physician shall be here shortly.”

“Good, until then, the vicar was about to pronounce us husband and wife. ”

The Physician showed up an hour after they were married and injected Julius with a dose of laudanum.

“His memories are returning and perhaps it is putting a strain on his brain, hence the bleeding. He must rest. ”

Corrine asked if they could move him back to his estate and once the physician gave his approval, she had her bags, as well as her maid's, packed, before settling into the carriage with his mother and riding to her new home.

♠♠♠

Ira ignored the dull pain in her chest as she placed the cookies in the tray. She told herself over and over again that she was silly to feel this way for her master, she was silly to fall so helplessly in love with him and be so injured by his rejection.

He only wanted to lure you into his bed, Ira, she scolded, tears welling up in her eyes. He wanted nothing but his fill of her and now that he had gotten it, he was out at this very moment, getting married.

Still, she couldn't convince herself that what happened between them only last night, meant nothing to him. He loved her, their time together was anything but devoid of love.

She would come close to convincing herself of his love for her and be swiftly reminded of his dismissal.

“Leave! ” His words had transported her to a dark period of her life, when the man she married had looked her in the eyes and uttered those same words to her after he had taken advantage of her body. He used her and on the night of their marriage, turned away from her.

Sighing softly, she closed her eyes and shook her head. Julius was nothing like her husband, nothing like the cruel monster. Yet, there were times she stared at him and thought she was looking at the same man who ruined her. Perhaps she was going crazy?

When Ira carried the tray to Julius' brother's bedchamber, his wife showed her where to place the tray and hurriedly dismissed her.

She was making her way down the stairs when she heard the front door slam open. Hurrying down, she was just in time to see Julius' unconscious form being carried into the building.

“Julius?! ” She cried, hurrying over to his side.

“Step aside.” One of the men instructed gruffly, shoving her to the side and carrying him up the stairs.

Knees trembling, Ira followed behind. Her lungs felt like they were collapsing and her vision was beginning to darken but she kept her eyelids apart and her legs moving.

“Here, ” She hurried into the room before them and tossed the covers aside.

Her heart pounded loudly in her chest as they placed his still form on the bed, tears springing to her eyes the second his pale face came into view.

“Julius? ” She reached out with trembling hands and touched his cheek. Giving in to her tears, she leaned down over him. “Julius.” She murmured against his lips, hand caressing his face.

“Leave us. ”

Ira gasped, jerking upright to find Lady Elliot by the door as the men emptied out of the room.

“My lady. ” She scrambled from the bed and clutched her hands before her, ashamed. She had failed to notice the presence of anybody else when they brought Julius into the building.

Lady Elliot slammed the door shut behind her and took measured steps to the singular sofa in the room.

“I shall excuse you. ”

“You shall take what is yours and leave these grounds. ”

Ira gasped and jerked her head up. “My lady?! ”

“Get out of my home, Ira, you are no longer needed here! Have I spoken with water in my mouth or are you simply deaf?! ” She screeched, hands clutching the arm of the sofa.

Ira's head swam as she stood glued to her position by Julius' bedside. Perhaps her actions only a few seconds ago was indecent and even deserving of punishment but to be fired?!

Certainly Lady Elliot wielded no such power? Julius was the one who hired her, who was Lady Elliot to...

Blood drained from her face as her eyelids widened. Her mouth falling open, she watched helplessly as Lady Elliot offered a coy smile.

Lady Elliot was now Lady Talbot.

Copyright © 2018 Lily Orevba All rights reserved.