Chapter Twenty Four

Sighing in satisfaction, a smile tugged on the edges of her lips as she watched Julius sleep on the floor. She reached for her dress in the dark study and scrambled to her feet. Shrugging her dress on, she turned from his still form and made her way out of the room.

She couldn't be certain, not now anyway, but if she was lucky, she'd soon be found to be with child.

*

Ira moaned, her eyelids giving way to the room. She struggled to a sitting position, her head pounding just as the door was pushed open and Berta appeared.

"You're awake."The housekeeper crossed the room, a tray of tea in her hands.

Ira nodded and sat up straighter. She vaguely remembered walking into Lady Talbot's parlor with a tray of tea in her hands and fainting at the sight of the portrait of Lord Hadley, her ex-husband. She tried not to panic at the memory, as Berta poured the tea into the cup.

Still, she was curious. Why was Lord Hadley's portrait in this house? Did it belong to him? Was he a part of this family? Would he return soon to find her here? And if he did, would he try to hurt her or her son? Her heart rate tripled at the thought of Lord Hadley finding out about her presence or the presence of the child he knew nothing about. Would he try to take Rey away from her once he finds out he's his son?

"Berta?"The word barely formed on her lips, her voice clouded by fear.

"Do you need anything else?" Berta smiled warmly at her.

She swallowed, knowing she needed to ask Berta about the portrait, yet fearing she couldn't do so without giving the truth away.

Straightening, she took the cup Berta held out to her and took a long sip of the green tea in a failed attempt to calm her nerves. She smiled in appreciation and handed the cup back to Berta.

"Thank you."

Berta nodded and placed a small bell on the table by her bedside. "Ring this bell if you need anything else. Lady Talbot is with the Physician right now, she'll come as soon as she's done. Poor Lady Talbot feels terrible for putting you to work so early after the tedious journey from Italy. She insists you rest for as many days as you'd like and I shall see to your every need."

Ira nodded. Berta offered a smile, before turning to make her way out of the room. Ira watched her leave, heart pounding. She needed to know! She needed to know about the portrait and Berta was the only person she could ask.

"Berta!" The older woman's hand paused on the doorknob.

She turned to Ira. "Yes?"

Nervous, Ira licked her lips and glanced down. "The portrait in Lady Talbot's parlor, whose is it?"

"What portrait?"

"The one over the mantle. It's a portrait of a man..." She sighed and clutched her trembling hands before her. "A man with blue eyes and brown hair and..."

"Julius?"

Ira shook her head. "I believe it is Lord Hadley. I am only concerned what his relationship with Lady Talbot is. Perhaps a relative?"

Silence.

For a second, Ira believed Berta to have left the room. When she lifted her eyes slowly, she was surprised to find Berta by the doorway, with a frown on her face.

"Lord Hadley's portrait is not in this house, Ira. As a matter of fact, he's dead. He died many years ago. He was Lady Hadassah's uncle. I believe you met Lady Hadassah and Lord Daniel Talbot in Italy, did you not?"