Heartfelt Goodbyes

The time I had come to dread has finally arrived, and I don't know how I was going to survive it. Today marked the day Fernando would join his comrades in the war and I was going to return to my life in America.

We had spend every day together, both not wanting to let the other go. Both wanting to savor every moment together, remember every detail. I finish packing my bag and zip it close, I hadn't seen Fernando today and I didn't know if I would. I don't know how I was going to say goodbye to him. We had agreed to meet before he departed but I don't know if I have the strength in me to watch him go.

I feel as if I have already shed enough tears to fill an entire ocean. I didn't want to cry anymore.

"Aren't you going to say goodbye?" Amber asks watching me pack up. "His bus will be leaving soon"

"No, it's better this way." I tell her

"Better for you, or for him?" she asks "What does he want?"

I don't answer her. I busy myself packing the rest of my personal belongings.

"I know your sad and hurting but Fernando is about to go fight a war he might not return from, and if he does, he is going to come back with the knowledge that you are not here waiting for him." she insists "Don't you think he deserves some closure?"

I stopped what I was doing. I knew she was right. But how can you say goodbye to the man you love? I look at the clock, his bus would leave in fifteen minutes, if I run I might just be able to catch him. Without thinking twice I run out of my hotel room and keep running trying to get to the bus stop as fast as mu legs can carry me. I needed to see him, one last time. I had to tell him I loved him, even if it was for the last time.

I run down the streets never stopping to catch my breath. I ran until I see a bus down the road and people getting in on it.

"Fernando!" I yell trying to find him "Fernando!?"

I try to find him in the middle of the soldiers entering the bus but I didn't see him anywhere.

"Fernando!" I yell again desperately

"Ruby!?" I hear his sweet voice yell for me.

I look around and I finally spot him, he was trying to get past the people saying goodbye to their loved ones, trying to get to me.

"Fernando" I exhale, relieved that I had managed to find him before he departed. I run to him and jump in his arms when he got pass the sea of people. We hold each other tightly, not wanting to let the other go.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry" I kept saying. If I hadn't chicken out then we could have had more time together, more minutes.

"It's okay" he says "You're here now" he consoles me

I loosen up on my hug so that I could look at him.

"I love you Fernando Cienfuegos" I tell him "So don't you dare get hurt out there"

"Yes mam'" he says smiling sadly "Te amo Ruby Sheridan, siempre recuerda es."

"I will" I say feeling some tears falling down from my eyes "If we don't see each other in this life Fernando, I will be waiting for you in the next."

We kiss. Our kiss desperate and passionate, both knowing that it would be last kiss we would both share for a good while if never again. We prolong the kiss as much as we can but the last call for the soldiers has already been made. We break the kiss and he places a sweet kiss on my forehead. We both had tears in our eyes as we let go of each other. I watch him get on the bus, I can no longer control the tears from falling. I was right before, it was hard to watch him go. It hurt... so much. I wave him goodbye, he mouths "Te amo" from behind the window and I mouth "Te amo" back.

And that was it. His bus took off, and with it, my heart.

I was on a boat home a few hours later. I felt as if I was walking on autopilot. I felt cold, numb. Amber tried to cheer me up but nothing could cheer me up at this point. I just needed to grieve for a while, to gather my strengths before I met my father. After a few days in high sea, and a lot of sea sickness, I received some surprising news  from the ship's doctor. I was pregnant.

That just made me sob harder. There I was, on my way to marry a stranger with my true love's child growing in my womb.

My father would trow me out if he ever find out I got pregnant out of wedlock so me and Amber devised a plan. I was to get married the week we dock in America. I was going to pass this baby as my future husband's child, it was the only way to guarantee a good life for him. I had to face my life without Fernando in it, I knew I could never forget him, especially now when I was going to have a walking breathing reminder constantly in my life. A baby. Our baby.

Everything went according to plan. My father agreed to have the weeding sooner, I just told him I was excited to start my married life, that it was something I had always craved and wanted. And soon enough I was married, my husband, he was a serious man, nothing like Fernando, but I would try to grow to love him, he would be the father to my child now. A few weeks after the weeding I announce that I was pregnant and everybody was trilled, nobody suspected that the baby had been conceived a few weeks before the wedding. There was a time where I think my father suspected, but he never addressed it.

The baby was born. She was a girl, a beautiful blond haired girl. She was perfect. We named her Donna. Donna Sheridan.

Vote and Comment!