Second Chances

I see the island from afar, if not from the sounds of the helices in the helicopter I knew that I would be able to hear the music from miles away. As I come closer, I start getting a little nervous. I haven't really thought of what I was going to say. I just wanted what was left of my family back, I wanted my granddaughter to accept me.

The helicopter lands and I place one foot on the ground. The island was celebrating, that was very obvious, no one seemed to notice my arrival and I came on an helicopter. I still had to walk a little bit to get to the hotel, but that was a sacrifice I was willing to make for family. I took in the sight and breath in the air, it was almost as if I could feel my daughter with me, as I walk trough this streets. I didn't felt so at peace in a long time ago.

I arrive at the top and prepare to make my entrance. I start to climb the stairs and as I get to the top and I fell a couple of eyes on me I say "Mons enfants, je suis arrivé!"

The music stopped. All eyes were on me. I see Sophie right in front of me with her boyfriend, Sky, right next to her. She looked confused and surprised to see me.

"Let the party commence" I say. People started chatting again, most of them still stood chocked to see me there. Sophie approached me.

"Grandma? You weren't invited" she says. She didn't look very happy to see me.

"That's the best kind of party little girl" I tell her

She pulls us over to the bar where we can talk more privately. I order a drink, I think I 'm going to need a lot of these to pass trough the night.

"So Sky got you here?" she asked making it sound like I only came because he asked me too and not because I wanted to.

"No, Sky just help it happen. You got me here." I tell her honestly

"What do you mean?" she asks confused to my intentions

"I've decided to commit to being  a "grandmother"." I tell her honestly

She looked incredulous. I can't blame her after all this time, I would be too.

"It's...It's twenty-five years too late" she responds grabbing a drink of her own.

"I say we move pass that, you know Soph, being a grudge holder makes you fat?" I informed her trying to make this situation a little lighter. "We should just concentrate in the here and now and me stepping up to becoming a good grandmother." as I say this a man passes by and stops to say "A great grandmother!"

"Thank you!" I say glad that he said it

Sophie looked alarmed "No he's saying...wait...how do you know!?" Know? Know what? That I'm her grandmother? I think I had already made that clear for everybody.

"Sky?" she calls out

"I didn't say anything" he replies "We agreed! Soph?"

Alright there is definitely something that I am missing.

"I only told Sam because he is my stepfather, and also one third of my real father." she answers

"I just told Bill" Sam, the man who married my daughter said. "He's my best friend"

"And I told Harry, he's...father number three" the man next to him said, one of Sophie's possible father if I read the room right.

The one who I suppose is Harry said "I told many... many... people."

"Excuse us!" somebody yells catching everybody's attention.

Two women who I recognize as Tanya and Rosie, my daughter's best friends, are up on a stage. I get up and join Sophie and Sky.

"Ladies and Gentleman...Rosie and I would like to propose a toast, to the woman of this...and every hour."

Everybody cheers and I can't help but say "You're too kind!" and wave

"They mean Sophie" Sky says

"I know that" I reassure him

"Come on up Sophie" Tanya calls and Sophie gets up on stage with her. Women in this family always did like the spotlight of a stage.

"I just want to say...for a while now I've been living my mother's wishes, and tonight they've come true. With this..." she says indicating the hotel "And...with this" she says placing her hands on top of her stomach.

Oh My God...She's pregnant? So this is why they were having that weird conversation. I can't believe it...Sophie's pregnant! I'm going to be a great grandmother.

"Great Grandmother... I'll be leaving that out of the bio." I comment to myself

"And now" Sophie carries on "I can fulfill one of my greatest wishes. Ever since I was a child, I wanted once, just once to be a part of Donna and the Dynamos."

Everybody cheered.

Music started to play, and I got to see my granddaughter sing for the first time. She was really good. As I see her sing about her unborn child, I can't help but get emotional. That was exactly what I felt about Donna when I was carrying her, only I had been so afraid, so terrified that somebody might find out that the baby was much more progressed than it should be.

Now as I see her sing, I can help but remember Donna when she was a young child. How she would put on little shows for me and sing; or when we would sing together when I was rehearsing. I lost the chance to be a good family member to my daughter and her daughter alike, if Sophie will have me, I don't want to repeat the same mistake with my great grandchild.

I climb the stars to a small patio. There I could see the a good portion of the island and it gave enough privacy to compose myself and clear my tears.

As Sophie finishes the song, I clean the last stray tears that fell from my eyes. Everybody cheers for Sophie and she did amazing. I take the change to be more comfortable and remove my jacket, it was a warm night after all. I was happy when I see Sophie join me at the patio and being me the first thing I tell her is "Not bad. You got to work on your breathing and you're a little pitchy."

She looks at me annoyed. As if she can't believe these are actually the first words I tell her after her performance. But hey, I live for music and I am a natural teacher, I can't help but give my opinion. But then I add "Is what I would say if I wasn't a loving relative."

She seemed to relax a little bit "Speaking as a grandmother..."

"I was so proud I could combust!" I tell with all the honest bones in my body

She smiled relieved and happy and she hugs me, and it felt so good to hug her. "You've got glitter in your veins! You've gotten them from me!"

She looks happy.

"Now I need to find Sky because he and I we're gonna talk about you" I tell her

She looks at the crowd trying to locate him "Where is Señor Cienfuegos? He will know where Sky is..."

I freeze when I hear that last name. I haven't heard it in so long, but never once did I forget it. But could it be? Could it actually be him? Here? After all this time?

"Cienfuegos?" I ask wanting to be sure that I had heard it correctly "That's an unusual name."

"He's an unusual man" she responds

My heart was beating faster now. Could it really be him?

"See for yourself" Sophie says pointing at a man in the crowd.

Vote and Comment please!