Not too late

I lived my life as normal as possible. I was a good wife, a good mother. My father passed away a year after Donna was born, I think he knew he was dying for a long time now, but refuse to tell anybody.

Amber still showed up from time to time, she got married a couple of years ago. We never talk about our time in Mexico, every time someone would talk about it we would be very vague about it, changing the subject. Same thing went for Fernando, his name was never mentioned, it was like he had never existed at all, but we both know he did, I would see him in my daughters smile.

I let myself think about him from time to time, I would wonder how he was doing. I hadn't heard anything from him since the last time I saw him when he was going to war, I didn't even know if he was alive. I hoped that he was, I hoped that he was missing me as much as I missed him. I hoped that he was happy, even if it was without me.

I became a widower a couple of years ago, my husband died in an accident when Donna was five, and I had to make ends meet to get food on the table, so I started to sing. I sang at bars and restaurants and I was quite good at it, people would always compliment me of my voice. As the time went by, the only regret that I have is that I became more distant from my daughter. Awhile after I started to sing I began to gather some followers and a little fame, and Donna had started to remind me so much of Fernando that I started to avoid her and that caused a dent in our relationship. We weren't as close as we used to be. And after she went to college we lost touch completely.

I knew she blamed me, and I knew it was my fault. I never showed up at any of her events and she became tired of waiting for me. It was no one's fault but my own. Last I heard she decided to travel the world, trying to find a place that called to her, she had always been adventurous, it didn't surprised much when I heard that. What surprised was when I heard that she was settling in a place in Greek and was expecting a child of her own. A child that would be raised without a father.

I didn't act very well towards her when I heard that, in fact I treated her kind of badly. I guess my only excuse would be that she reminded me very much of me when I was her age, especially now, that she had become pregnant by a man, she had fallen head over heels with. So that was the final nail in the coffin. No more words were exchanged between us trough the years, there was only the annual postcard where she would send a picture of her and daughter, which she had called Sophie. No one couldn't say that they weren't mother and daughter, they were so alike, and they looked happy, so I decided to stay away. I would only destroy that happiness.

I would call sometimes, on Sophie's birthday and on Christmas but those were turning to be rarer and rarer. I moved to Las Vegas where I had my own show, I became busier and busier with work and honestly I never actually thought they cared. When I received notice that Donna had married the guy that had knocked her up all those years ago, at least one possible father, from what I was told there were other two possibilities, that's when I realized that I had completely missed my daughter's life, her's and my granddaughter. But still I did nothing, they didn't want me there, they were better off without me.

I continue to work and work, calling them occasionally. Life was has it had always been, but everything changed when I received the worst news a mother can receive. My daughter, Donna, died.

A mother should never have to bury her daughter, even if I wasn't very present in her life, I still loved her, she was my baby girl. She was my baby, mine and his. I went to her funeral and I finally got to met in person Donna's husband. He seemed to loved her very much. I talked to Sophie but we talk almost as if we were strangers. She had her own family now, and I wasn't apart of it. Not that anyone could blame anyone but me.

I kissed her, hugged her, and told her to call me if she ever needed anything, and then I left again. After being where my daughter decided to build a life for herself, I could tell why she wanted to stay there, once, long ago, it was a place I would have chosen for myself. I saw everything that she had build, all the people that knew her, that mourn her. She had been loved, so much, and by so many. It didn't surprised me, she was always a gentle soul, like her father, her stubbornness she took from me.

As I return home I start to regret the choices I made in my life. If only I had stayed in Mexico and stayed with Fernando, maybe Donna would still be alive, maybe we would all have been a happy family. But I couldn't think like that. If I hadn't left, then Sophie would have never have been born and I know Donna loved that girl with all her heart.

A year passed and I haven't heard from Sophie since the funeral. Until one day I receive an interesting call.

"Hello? Is this Ruby Sheridan?" I hear a man ask

"This is she. Who is this?" I ask intrigued to who was calling

"My name is Sky, I don't know if you remember me, I'm Sophie's boyfriend." he introduce himself

"Oh yes! Sky, how are you darling?" I ask nicely but very curious of why he was calling me

"I'm great thank you. The reason why I called is because Sophie is having a big reopening of her mother's hotel, in Greece, tomorrow, and I know that she would be very happy if you came." he explained

"Reopening?" I question

"Yes, she has been working very hard this last year to rebuild that hotel in honor of her mother. Anyway it would mean the world to her if you came. And...and I think your daughter would also like to see you there." he added "It's never too late to be a grandmother"

What he said made me think.

"Thank you for letting me know Sky." I tell him

"My pleasure. I hope to see you there." he said before he hang up the phone.

It's never too late to be a grandmother. Perhaps it's time...to actually commit to being a grandmother. She was the last thing that I had that connects me to my daughter, and in consequence to him. He would never forgive if he new how I had treated our daughter. But has Sky said, perhaps it is not to late.

I call my assistant and ask him to arrange for a plane to take me to Greece and an helicopter to take me from the main island to the island where my granddaughter lived. Soon enough I was on a plane. Now was the time to be brave and get my family back together. I had already lost too much in my life.

Vote and Comment!