Mom, I Think I'm Cursed

I feigned a cough as I walked down the stairs, trying to seem as groggy as possible. My mom was in the kitchen making breakfast, as usual on a school morning. Her back was to me, foot tapping to the beat of a song from her favorite Eighties in the AM radio station. I could just barely hear the sizzle of something in the frying pan over Paula Abdul asking if we really wanted to love her forever. 

There were a number of reasons why I didn't want to go to school today. The ever persistent Derek Shaw, the horrendous Mr. Brine, and the fact that I needed at least two more hours of sleep were on the list, but they couldn't compete with the first two: Today was my last day to hang out with Harper before she left, and I had a presentation in English.

I sniffled loudly as I sat on one of the blue stools across the counter from my mom. She reached for the radio and turned the volume down low before turning to me, one eyebrow raised slightly. "You feeling okay?"

The golden question-- fake it right, and I was home free. I cleared my throat, knowing the stir of mucus would help with my act as I prepared to give my best 'I dunno, I think I might have a cold.'

But as I opened my mouth, my voice was chipper with energy, a cheery "Yeah, I'm fine," coming from my lips.

Wait. 

What?

Her eyebrows raised in surprise as she picked up a nearby bowl, pouring more batter into the pan. "Oh, okay. Sounded a little stuffy."

My mind raced, eyes widening and brows furrowing as she looked away. Maybe I really was sick- that was not what I said, I was sure of it. And yet, that was what came out of my mouth.

I tried to shake it off, telling myself it was no big deal. I could change my answer and maybe the plan wouldn't be totally shot.

You know, on second thought, my throat is a little scratchy- maybe I am coming down with something. "Nope. I feel good." My face contorted into confusion as the words left my mouth, but I couldn't stop them from coming. "Better than usual, actually. I think my new vitamins are working."

"Hm, that's... good," she responded, obviously a little surprised by my enthusiasm.

I tried to force another cough, but all that came from my throat was a jovial hum.

"I hope pancakes are fine for breakfast?" she asked, giving one a flip with the spatula in her hand. 

"Yeah," I answered. Okay, so that one came out the way I intended- I'd try again. Third time's the charm, right? Actually, my stomach just turned- maybe I shouldn't eat, I'm feeling kind of nauseated. "I am so hungry- I can't wait to eat." 

I huffed in frustration— or I tried to, but it was replaced by a content sigh. I don't want to go to school today!  I tried to yell the honest truth, but all that came from me was a loud and very enthusiastic, "I am so excited to go to school!"

My mother turned, her brows furrowed, spatula still in the air. She looked at me as if waiting for some kind of explanation for my outburst, but I had none to give.

"What's gotten into you?" Harper asked, surprising me as she came from the living room. She was already dressed, despite it being so early. I couldn't help feeling plain as I eyed her flared corduroys, the brown boots peeking out from underneath matching with her floral top. "Oh, wait, let me guess- Kalvin finally spoke to you?"

My mom rolled her eyes, giving us a dismissive wave as she continued with the pancakes. "If I have to hear any more boy talk from you two, I think I'll lose my mind."

"Hey, you need a ride?" Harper asked me, picking up an apple from the fruit bowl on the counter. "I'm on my way to hang out with Liz soon, I can drive you."

"This early?" I asked, half expecting the question to come out as something different.

She shrugged. "We're going sailing, she likes to start early. You want me to drop you off on the way there?"

I tried to nod, but my head shook instead. "No, that's fine." I bit my tongue, trying not to freak out. Harper had a good question-- what had gotten into me? 

"You sure?" she asked, arching an eyebrow. I'd just about begged her for a ride every time she was here to give me one.

Please, I hate the bus. "It's fine— I'm starting to like the bus."

She eyed me over, head tilting as she took in a breath. She almost spoke but paused, seeming to think better of it as she shrugged in acceptance, heading to the door. "You're weird, Ally," she called as she was halfway outside. "Enjoy the bus!"

What on earth was happening to me? I had no control over my mouth- it was like it was sentient, deciding when to screw me over and say the opposite of what I wanted. Opposite. The word repeated in my mind as I remembered what I said the day before.

"If I could be the opposite of whoever I am, I'd take it in a second."
"Then you'll be happy with what I see. Change is coming for you very soon, Allison. Your world will be flipped upside down."  

Normally, I wouldn't jump to conclusions. Normally, I wouldn't think of something so absurd. But this morning was already anything but normal, and I couldn't stop myself from thinking it: I'd been cursed.

 But this morning was already anything but normal, and I couldn't stop myself from thinking it: I'd been cursed