Maybe This Curse Isn't So Bad

I changed my clothes to something a bit nicer than the ones I'd worn to school and darkened my makeup a little, not sure why I was treating this like a real date. I hadn't meant to say yes— the fact that I was no longer infatuated with Kalvin didn't change that.
Except that it totally did, because if I hadn't been so occupied with him at the beginning of the year, I might've said yes to Derek the first time he asked.

It wasn't that I didn't find him attractive, and when he wasn't bothering me about a date, his personality was actually sufferable, unlike most of the people at Chelms Beach High. I just couldn't for the life of me understand why he was so hell bent on taking me out.

I was already in the entryway sliding on my sandals when the doorbell rang— I took one more glance at myself in the mirror hung on the wall and hurried out before either of my parents could come invite him inside. I closed the door behind me, the two of us standing awkwardly on my porch for a few seconds as his eyes subtly look me over, a shy smile on his face.

"You look great," he said, the two of us heading down to where his dark green car was parked against the curb. The sun was still high, blue sky and warm breeze adding up to a nice day.

"Thanks." My palms were already sweating at the thought of what the curse might have in store for the night. "I wasn't sure what to wear— you didn't say where we're going."

"I figured we could go to the boardwalk," he said, the words sparking a new hope in my chest. Going to the boardwalk would be perfect, as long as I could sneak away for a second to visit the lady who for some reason was trying to ruin my life.

Derek hurried to the car, pulling open the passengers door for me and I smiled, giving another soft thanks as I slid inside. He shut it, walking around to the drivers side. As I watched him cross in front of the windshield, I couldn't help but notice the pep in his step or the way his left hand tapped nervously against his leg. I hated to admit that not only was it flattering, but maybe even cute. 

He spoke again once he sat in the brown seat behind the wheel, looking over at me after closing his door. "I mean, if that's fine with you."

I nodded. "The boardwalk sounds great."

He started the car, soon turning onto the road and away from my neighborhood, a silence falling between us. I wasn't even sure what to say, and was afraid that anything I tried would come out as something different. The last thing I needed was an innocent ice breaker changing into something embarrassing— what if the curse made me come on to him? What if it made me say something gross, something vulgar or weird—

"So... I have to ask about what happened today in English." Derek's voice interrupted my rambling thoughts. 

"I guess I just finally had enough of Mr. Brine's," I said, earning a laugh from the dark haired boy, who turned to me as we reached a red light. "He targeted me like always and I just... snapped. Seems like that's kind of the theme of today for me."

I sighed, glancing out the window as Derek's gaze returned to the road, traffic moving once again. I could already see the beach through the spaces between small motels, tall hotels, and old, colorful houses that lined the street. The Atlantic was calm today, blue waves glistening with sunlight as they washed upon the sandy shore.

"Care to elaborate?" he asked, slowing as we turned into the parking lot.

"Well, first I told off my friends— if I can even call them that. I just get so tired of them, and it's pretty obvious they don't care much for me. We used to be close back in middle school, but since high school started... I dunno. It's like they can't go four seconds without gossiping or bad mouthing someone. Don't get me wrong, I like a little drama, and I'm sure I've insulted my fair share of people. But it just makes me realize that if that's all the conversation they can muster up when we're together, it probably means we don't have much in common anymore."

As Derek parked, I continued, appreciating how he nodded his head and gave encouraging "mmhmm's" during my babbling. "I guess I can't exactly say I'm gonna miss them— especially since I found out one of them basically stabbed me in the back— but it does mean I'll be eating lunch alone for the rest of senior year."

"You can always eat with me and Jeffrey," Derek offered, his casual shrug making the gesture seem genuine, but not overbearing. "We have great seats in the cafeteria, with a beautiful view of the parking lot. If you're lucky, you might even catch a glimpse of Mr. Ratliff unloading the dumpster." We laughed, the two of us getting out of the car and beginning the short stroll to the boardwalk. The air was filled with the usual sound of crashing waves, happy chatter, and various screams of excitement from the rides. "But that doesn't seem so bad," he continued, watching me as we walked, "You told off Mr. Brine, who obviously deserved it, and your friends, who I have a feeling probably did too."

"Don't forget Kalvin," I said, letting out a short laugh.

"Kalvin Daniels?" Derek asked, eyebrows raised as we reached the wooden pathway. The smells of funnel cakes and french fries hit my nose, combining with the salty air in some wonderful concoction I didn't think I'd ever get tired of.

I nodded. "The very same. I've had a crush on him for an embarrassingly long time," I admitted, feeling weird to confess that while I was technically on a date. Derek raised an eyebrow and I realized I needed to correct myself. "Or, well, I had a crush on him. He found out about it and tried to use it to his advantage, said some rude things when I rejected him... then I flipped him off."

"What'd he say?" His expression turned into concern, and I gave a one shouldered shrug, smiling in an attempt to lighten the mood back up.

"It was just something stupid, no big deal."

"You want me to fight him?"

I laughed, throwing my head back as he joined me. He adopted an offended tone, but the grin on his face said otherwise. "What, you don't think I could take him?"

"I don't even think the two of us put together could take him," I said, still giggling. "But thank you for the offer, that's very chivalrous."

"It'll always be on the table— well, as long as I don't become part of your list of people you've told off today."

"I'll wait till tomorrow," I joked, still smiling. "Wouldn't want to spoil the date."

Derek flushed slightly, expression turning softer. "You know, I thought it was really cool what you did today. Just when I think my crush couldn't get any worse, you go and pull something like that."

I could feel my cheeks heat up, the words combined with the look on his face making my stomach flip slightly. My brain couldn't even come up with a response, only thinking of two things: I should've said yes to Derek sooner, and maybe, just maybe, this curse wasn't so bad after all.

 My brain couldn't even come up with a response, only thinking of two things: I should've said yes to Derek sooner, and maybe, just maybe, this curse wasn't so bad after all