A Durable Piece of Machinery

"This thing could be used as a torture device and we're going on it for fun," I complained, the two of us climbing into the small cart. It swayed as we sat and my stomach churned, my body and brain both begging me not to go through with this. 

The ride operator reached for the raised silver bar attached to our seat, lowering it and locking it into place in front of us. "I can't believe this piece of metal is the only thing stopping me from falling to my death."

"I can help too," Derek said, and I glared at him again, only half playful. "Hey, relax, we're the last cart to load. We won't have to pause for anyone else to get on."

"Thank God," I said, trying not to look at anything as the ride began to move. I focused on my hands, which were gripping the safety bar so hard that my knuckles were white. "There's got to be thirty some rides in this place, and you pick the tallest, scariest one."

"Even if you're scared, you have to admit the view is totally worth it." I could see him gesture outwards in my peripheral vision as the cart moved further and further away from the ground. "The sunset looks incredible."

I spared a glance at the horizon, breath catching as I realized just how high we were— and it was only halfway through the first rotation. It was pretty, I'd give him that. The evening sky was its own special shade of gold, the ocean below it sparkling from the sun.

"It's nice," I managed, my voice wavering. "But I don't know if I'd agree it's worth being this far away from the ground."

Derek laid his arm across the back of the cart, shifting casually. We were even closer now, legs pressing against each other in the small seat. If it wasn't for my all consuming fear, I was sure I'd be more attentive to the warm sensation that had overtaken my gut.

Maybe if I just looked at the view, it didn't have to be so bad. But it was impossible not to notice the two younger looking teenagers in front of us, a boy with a shaved head and a blonde haired girl, who decided it would be fun to rock their cart. The sight sent a wave of nausea over me, and I put my head in my hands to cover my eyes. "Oh my God, they're gonna break it."

Derek's arm lowered to my shoulders, and I tried not to shiver at the sensation. It was hard to decide what I was more nervous about-- being so close to him, or being so high up. Who was I kidding-- it was definitely the heights. I relished in his comfort, still shielding my eyes.

"Two twelve year olds are not capable of breaking such a durable piece of machinery," he assured me, thumb rubbing back and forth across my skin.

A sudden creak of metal made me flinch and lean into Derek even more, my face pressing against the fabric of his shirt. I didn't care if I was embarrassing myself-- the only thing I could think about was how much I wanted to be back on the ground. 

"Sorry," I apologized, barely opening my eyes as my head rested on his chest.

"Don't be," he said, laughing a little as his other hand came around to hold my arm, beginning another soothing, repetitive stroke against my wrist. 

"Let's talk about something," I begged, chewing on the skin of my lower lip. "Distract me."

"We could— I mean— We don't have to talk to be distracted—"

"I am not kissing you while we're two hundred feet in the air!" I laughed, blushing at his insinuation. 

"Okay, okay!" He chuckled as the cart began it's backwards descent. "I have something I want to ask, anyway."

"Okay. Shoot."

"Well... senior year is so close to ending, and I meant what I said earlier, about not asking you out anymore. I just— I mean, I know I was annoying. I want to apologize for bothering you all these months— I guess I was just afraid the time I didn't take the chance to ask you would've been the time you might've said yes, you know? And it almost was."

I nodded, wondering for the first time how today would have played out without the curse. "Apology accepted. But I think I missed the question."

"You didn't." He smiled, hesitating for a few seconds. "Was the Kalvin thing— was that what made you finally say yes?" 

"The Kalvin thing happened after I said yes," I said, not knowing how I would even begin to explain the real reason, and doubting the curse would even let me. "I guess... Well, like you said, senior year's almost over. Gotta make the most of it, y'know? Try new things. Plus, you're attractive, and you're funny, and I was stupid to say no just because I was pining over some guy."

"Are you trying to flatter me?"

"I should be trying to flatter the guy in charge of this ride, so maybe he'll stop it early."

"Only one more rotation," Derek assured, still holding me against him. "But there is another thing I didn't mention."

"What?" I groaned, his worried tone not giving me any comfort.

"Last cart to load is the last cart to unload."

I looked up to see him grimacing in preparation for my reaction. I sighed, pressing my eyes shut. "If you wanted to be sappy," I quoted his words from earlier, "we could've just hugged on the swinging ship."

"