8

"Battle plan?" Alexander asked.

He and Susie were currently peering through the railing of the staircase. Both were trying to be quiet and stealthy, crouching and shushing each other.

"Okay, so I'mma go talk to Y/n saying some really good lie I'm gonna come up later, and you go explain everything that happened and all that you know."

"Okay. Wait, you can't come up with a lie late--"

Too late because Susan was already shuffling towards her illegitemate sister. She tugged onto Y/n's sleeve, catching the attention of the girl.

"Susie? I thought you were gonna play with AJ?" Y/n said, her eye brows inching towards each other.

"Yeah, well... uhm... he's... bleeding to death currently." Susan said, squinting her hazel eyes as she did.

Eliza immediately stood up with wide eyes. "Is he--"

"No! No! He's... not yet dead... he turned into... a salamander... like his father but bluer." Susan said, her face beaded with sweat.

Alexander, who was evesdropping, groaned and pinched the bridge of his nose. Susan may be fun and cool but for cinnamon's sake, she was a terrible liar.

Elizabeth opened her mouth to say something but was cut off by Y/n erupting into laugher.

"Oh, Susan." She said, flashing a smile. "Let's go and continue the game, yeah?"

Susan was confused but nodded. Come on, who doesn't love a good game?

Y/n nodded, her right eyes twitching slightly. "Terribly sorry, but I better go off with the youngsters before anyone else turnd into a damn salamander."

She chuckled nervously and grabbed Susan by the shoulder, taking her upstairs where AJ waited.

"Miss Jefferson? Are you okay? Susan and I were just... play--"

"Okay, stop it." Y/n said. "The heck is even going on?"

"... she knows too much."

"Come on, AJ will explain everything in his room." Susan said, smiling proudly.

She's got Jefferson on her side. Kinda. Maybe author just wanted to start a lyric chain.

"What's going on?" Y/n asked, crossing her arms as she walked into AJ's room.

"So, you know how my brother is acting weird?" AJ asked softly, scared to get his mom sent after him.

"Well, no actually. I haven't seen Philip in a while." Y/n answered.

"I KNEW IT! HE'S A LIZARD MAN WORKING FOR THE SOUTHERNERS!!"

"... Susan, no."

"Door knobs! I never get things right."

"Anyway, my brother hasn't been spending much time here at home. I always thought he was with you." AJ said, the worry was crystal clear in his eyes.

Y/n blinked. "But Philip loves his family more than my suffering." She said.

"Exactly!" Susan added. "This is very strange. I suspect it involves lizard men and--"

"Susan, no." Y/n said. "But you have a point, this is strange. Something is definately up."

"Lizard men." Susan muttered softly.

"Miss Y/n?" AJ asked.

"Yes?"

"C... Can you promise to help my brother?" He asked.

"I... Of course, AJ. I'll help Philip." She said, a soft smile on her lips.

AJ hugged her tightly. As tears dripped down his small face, Y/n hugged back. She knew what is was like to have problems with siblings. She knew what it was like to know they weren't okay.

Susan awkwardly joined, not wanting to be left out. She wrapped her arms around AJ and Y/n. She patted AJ's back, trying her best not to mentally breakdown due to lack of knowledge on social interaction.

"Honey, are you-- thank goodness you aren't a salamander!"

🍃

Philip roamed the streets of New York. He was unaware of Maria's death, of his brother's plan, or of his surroundings because whoop-di-doo he just bumped into someone.

And in a minute he's gonna do that cliché thing and apologize and find true love-- nevermind, it's just John.

Not the cinnamon roll one but the other one that came out in a chapter and was forgotten for the rest of the book.

"Phil, the hell, man? Watch where you're going." John Mulligan said and helped his best friend up.

"Yeah." Philip replied bluntly.

Worry flushed John's face. His best friend doesn't seem so Philip today.

"You okay, man?" John asked, a gentle hand on Philip's shoulder.

Philip let out a crackle. "Okay? Yeah, sure. I'm fine. Let's go with that!!" He said maniacally.

"I'm pretty sure you are not fine."

"Shut up, John, I'm as fine as a bartender in the ocean."

"That analogy proves my point that you are not fine."

Philip sighed. "I don't know what's going on. One minute, everything is okay, the next... And what's worse is that h-his words keep playing in my head and it's driving me insane." He said, gripping and pulling at his brown locks.

"Hey, man, maybe I can help." John said.

"He-help?"

"Sure, just talk to me."

"... promise you won't think I'm insane?"

John chuckled. "I think you're insane either way. So, come on. Let go to the shop and talk more there."

🍃

A/n: it's been a while. Wasn't gonna put a note because I know someone is gonna get pissed at me for not updating whoops.