Chapter 4

My legs carry me across the dirty cobblestone streets, the sun begins to fall and people start their way home. The wind stings my eyes. I can't tell if my eyes are watering from the wind or because of my emotions. The familiar sound of metal against metal makes me move quicker. I walk around the corner and see Gendry in the open smithery, working on the helmet that he has been boasting about. Without thought I throw my arms around him and hug him, it takes a moment but he hugs me back, holding me in a strong embrace. I fight back the tears. The place that I've been raised in, the place that the people I love live, my home, is gone.

"Could I stay here tonight?" I ask, his ocean blue eyes look confused, but he responds.

"Of course." He doesn't ask any questions, instead he places the helmet down on a shelf behind him and leads me through a short hallway. He opens the door, a loud creak echos throughout the smithery. A room smaller than the brothels closet appears on the opposite side of the door. The bed is made with a small brown blanket with rips and holes, along with a pillow stuffed with hay. A tattered dresser rests against the farthest wall, some drawers stuck open.

I turn to Gendry as he begins to speak. "You can have the bed, I'll take the floor." I automatically look at the dirty floor. Different types of debris litter the ground, but I choose not to argue.

"Thank you, Gendry. I promise it's only for tonight." He shakes his head at my comment.

"Don't be an idiot, you can stay for as long as you like," I smile and sit on the bed. "I'll be working if you need anything." He has always been nice and hospitable to me, like a brother. Before he closes the door I speak.

"Goodnight, Gendry." I say and he smiles.

"Goodnight, Re." He closes the door and I am left in darkness. I take off my shoes and lay down on the bed, the blanket still underneath of me. I turn onto my side and place my hand against the cool stone wall. Sidnae's worried face intrudes my thoughts. I won't be able to see her for a while, she told me that if Lord Baelish ever found out that I shouldn't risk coming back because he'll only want to know what I'm hiding from. I close my eyes and allow myself to drift asleep to the sounds of the smithery.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wake up suddenly from a nightmare. My heart pounds through my chest and my stomach turns. I sit up to catch my breath and attempt to remember my dream. After a few moments of thought I calm myself down and look around the room. A blanket lays on the floor, along with a dirty pillow. I stand up and adjust my dress, causing something to hit the floor. I stop and bend over picking up the familiar coin purse. Placing it into my dress once more I open the door and the loud creak fills the hallway. I'm not afraid of Mott noticing me, he would just assume that we slept together. As I walk into the hallway I can hear a mans voice, but not Gendry or Mott, someone with a northern accent.

"What did Lord Arryn want?" I hear him say. I walk through the hallway and stop at the doorway into the smithery.

"Well he came to see the boy." Mott says a little surprised that the stranger would be asking that.

"I would like to see him as well." The man says, almost as if it was a gentle command.

"As you wish, m'lord," He says reluctantly. I peer my head slightly so I can see the Lord. He stands tall and holds great power. His brown hair is long and touches his shoulders. His brown eyes hold sternness, but also glimpses of kindness. I instantly recognize this man, Lord Eddard Stark Of Winterfell. "Gendry." Mott says, and I watch as Gendry places down his tools and walks over to Mott and Lord Stark.

"Here he is. Strong for his age and works hard." Gendry stands before Lord Stark with his arm crossed in front of him. He constantly puts up a front when he meets new people. He becomes stubborn and rude, especially to the higher class. This was something that I had to go through, but we both soon became great friends.

"Show The Hand the helmet you made, lad." Mott whispers to Gendry and I internally sigh as I watch him roll his eyes and pick up his prized possession. Lord Stark looks watches him until Gendry hands him the helmet.

"This is fine work." Lord Stark compliments Gendry as he looks at the helmet.

"It's not for sale." Gendry says abruptly. Both Mott and Lord Stark are taken aback. I whisper his name under my breath with disappointment.

"Boy! This is the Kings Hand. If his lordship wants the helmet-" Gendry shakes his head several times.

"No. I made it for myself." Gendry says calmly as he looks directly at Lord Stark.

"Forgive him, my lord." Mott says, anger in his voice.

"There's nothing to forgive," Lord Stark replies while looking at the bull helmet in his hands. "When Lord Arryn came to visit you, what did he talk about?" Gendry responds smoothly.

"He just asked me questions is all m'lord." Gendry shrugs and places his hands into his pockets. I attempt to step a bit closer, but Lord Starks gaze finds itself upon me. I stand still and he turns and resumes talking to Gendry.

"What type of questions?" I watch as Gendry looks at Mott and proceeds to answer the question.

"About my work, if I was being treated well, if I liked it here..." he pauses, "then he started to ask me about my mother." Gendry rarely speaks about his mother to me. There was one time when we talked about our mothers to each other, but that was years ago and we haven't brought it up since.

"Your mother?" He asks, very curious and surprised.

"Who she was, what she looked like." His head drops slightly.

"What'd you tell him?" Lord Stark pries. Gendry looks over and his eyes meet mine. He looks surprised and depressed, I could tell he didn't want to answer the question, but I offer him a reassuring smile and a slight nod.

"That she died when I was little," He pauses and looks away from me and at Lord Stark. "that she has yellow hair and would sing to me sometimes." He looks towards the ground and Lord Stark suddenly speaks in the silence.

"Look at me." His expression is shocked. I know Lord Stark realizes I'm listening so I step into the doorframe, listening closely. Gendry slowly lifts his head, I can see the confusion in his eyes.

"Get back to work, lad," Lord Stark hands Gendry his helmet and Gendry walks towards me as Lord Stark talks to Mott.

"What was that about?" I ask him.

"I don't know." He looks away from me, not wanting to make direct eye contact. He quickly changes topics, "So I love your company, but why did you come here last night?"

"I had to leave where I was originally staying...for reasons. I just didn't have anywhere else to go and you were the first person I thought of. But-", Gendry cuts me off.

"Re. I love seeing you. I was just wondering why the sudden visit. You can stay for as long as you need. You know I'll always be there for you." He smiles.

I look at him for a few seconds and then envelope him in a fierce hug and he hugs back with the same fierceness. "Thank you Gendry."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Remember to...

Vote

Comment

Share