Chapter 14

The insects harmonize throughout the restless night. 

I stare into the dancing fire, holding the handle of my dagger in the light. Men sleep around me, snoring through their dreams. A few days ago, my father admitted that I was his daughter. He did it to save me. His actions allowed him to be spared from fighting Beric, for he thought it would be cruel to kill a father in front of his daughter. So, in a way, he saved me and I saved him. 

"Be careful with that, girl." Thoros gestures towards the dagger in my hand as he interrupts my thoughts and sits next to me. "You better learn how to use that, next time you won't have your father to protect you."

"You believe us then?" I remember Thoros arguing with Beric in the cave. He thought my father was lying to get out of the situation, but Beric thought otherwise. 

"Children have no say in who their mothers and fathers are." He states seriously, "I just expected you to be uglier." He chuckles at his own remark and I can't help but laugh as well.

I look beside me at Arya who is sleeping on the ground, her sword held in her arms. "Where are you taking us?" 

"You and your father can leave whenever you'd like," He insisted. "I promised the girl I would take her to her family in Riverrun." 

"And Gendry?" 

"He wants to join the Brotherhood. He's convinced that this is a better life than the one he'll have at Castle Black." A sudden sadness envelops me, although I attempt to ignore it. I knew at one point we would have to part ways. It's better that he is joining the Brotherhood than the Watch. This way he'll be able to be happy while fighting for a just cause, marry and have children along with having his own titles and land. But still, the memory of me kissing him in desperation, the moment I thought I was going to lose him forever, plays in my mind every time I see him.

Thoros stands up. "You should get some rest." He walks away, allowing me to stare at the fire once more. I feel movement next to me and when I look over I realize that it's Gendry.

"Can't sleep?" I question Gendry as he sits down next to me, he sighs before speaking.

"I heard you and Thoros talking." Before I can say anything he continues to speak, "Beric said I could stay if that's what I decided."

"And is that what you have decided?" It hurts me to ask this, selfishly I want him to stay with me.

"I have decided to do something else," I stare at him, confused. "To ask you to marry me." 

My mind goes blank as I attempt to form words. "Gendry..."

"I know it's sudden, but it's not impulsive. You know that I love you and I should have said it at Harrenhal. Powerful people want us both dead, and whatever time I have left I want to spend with you-" 

I suddenly kiss him for what feels like hours. Tears well up in my eyes, but not of sadness or worry. I'm finally happy. At this moment we are no longer our father's mistakes, we're our own people. 

"Yes," I say confidently, staring into his deep blue eyes. "I will marry you." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A shove on my side causes me to suddenly wake up. The memories of last night flood back to me, causing me to smile. Gendry helps me to my feet as we both listen to the commotion in the woods. People on horseback emerge from the trees. Several men with armor and weapons riding on horseback follow a mysterious woman in a red cloak.

"That's about far enough," Anguy says, aiming his bow at the woman in red. The strangers listen to Anguy and stop. 

"We come as friends." The woman moves her hood, revealing her beautiful face.