Chapter 8

I slowly stand up next to Gendry. I know that my identity is masked, but how long until they realize my true identity. Every one of the men stare at Gendry as silence takes over the woods.

"Back to work men!" Yoren breaks the silence and the men slowly begin to gather supplies.

"Re," I turned to Gendry, suddenly realizing the danger of our situation. "Why are Gold Cloaks looking for us?"

"I don't know." I lie. Gendry is the dead King's bastard son, of course the Queen would want him dead; however, I'm not sure why I am wanted as well.

"Re, I'm not an idiot. Why are we wanted by the Queen?" He grows understandably agitated.

"I can't tell you, Gendry. The truth would only put you more in danger, you have to trust me."

"Trust you? That's all I've ever been doing, trusting you and never asking questions." He takes a deep breath. "But Relina,  trusting you has led me to join the Night's Watch and become wanted dead by the bloody Queen of Westeros and you won't even tell me why." His words are like daggers that twist in my stomach. Every inch of my being wants to tell Gendry but Sidnae's warning resonates inside my head.

"I'm sorry." Is all I can muster before he shakes his head and walks away. Gendry has never been mad at me before. It was always me who was the one to be upset, but now that it has turned I'm clueless.

Arie walks past me, abandoning me as well. I look up at the sky. The sun has fallen and the moon has taken its place. The stars of the night lights up the woods allowing me to see my way towards the barn where we are sleeping. Before I make it inside I am stopped by Yoren.

"Re," He calls me over to the side of the stone barn. "I've already spoken to Gendry. I would like you, him and Arie to sleep towards the back tonight." His northern accent is usually threatening, but now he speaks with kindness.

"Do you really think they'll come back?" I ask and he responds by shaking his head.

"I don't suppose so, I scared those cowards off for good." I let out a small chuckle and he smile.

"Now off to bed, we'll be starting early in the morning." As I walk inside of the building I notice the mass of sleeping bodies on the ground. Some let out obnoxious snores while others talk and grunt in their sleep. I carefully step over and between them, careful that I won't wake them up. I spot Gendry to the right of the barn, against the back wall. I lay down next to him, hoping that he's asleep. As I lay down I notice how tired my legs are. They ache with pain, which makes me close my eyes and welcome sleep.

I wake up by the hushed voices of Yoren and Arie. I remain laying down with my eyes open listening to their conversation.

"Here's the funny part. I can't picture my brothers face anymore," He pauses. "but Willem, he was a nice looking boy. He had good white teeth blue eyes and one of those dimpled chins all those girls like." He smiles before continuing.

"I would think about him while I was working, when I was drinking, when I was having a shit. It got to the point where I would say his name every night before I went to bed 'Willem, Willem, Willem'. A prayer almost." He pauses again. The cackling of the fire interrupting him. "One day Willem came riding back into town and I buried an ax so deep into Willem's skull they had to bury him with it. Willem's horse got me to the Wall and I've been wearing black ever since."

"That'll help you sleep, eh?" He chuckles and Arie smiles. Sounds of horns and shouting can suddenly be heard from outside and Yoren quickly stands up.

"Get up you lazy son's of lords. Arm yourselves." He shouts, waking everyone up and to their feet. I stand up next to Gendry and Arie, all of us scared and alert.

"Keep out of sight, the three of you." Yoren tell us.

"No I'm not afraid." Arie demands and is ignore by Yoren. He speaks mainly to Gendry and I.

"Keep out of sight. If things go wrong you run, do you hear me? You run along North and don't look back." His voice causes me to worry and I nod, causing him to walk away.

"Outside now!" Yoren shouts and everyone follows him. Once I step outside shouts and screams of death overwhelm me. Gendry leads a small group behind bushes where I watch as Yoren approaches three men on horses, except they're not Gold Cloaks.

"Where are the bastards?" The man demands.

"There are more than a few bastards here, who's asking?"

"Ser Amory Lorch and men sworn by the Lord Tywin Lannister. The men from the capital have requested our assistance. Drop your weapons in the name of the King." He says arrogantly.

"Which King will that be?" Yoren responds sarcastically.

"This is your last chance. In the name of King Joffrey, drop your weapons." His temper rises.

Yoren spits at him. "I don't think I will."

"So be it." He signals to the man next to him who fires his crossbow hitting Yoren directly in the chest. Arie goes to run towards him, but Gendry and I hold her back.

"I've always hated crossbows. They take to long to load." Yoren unsheathe's his sword and swings at the crossbow wielding lord, killing him instantly. All the lords, standing and on horse's begin to fight Yoren. I watch as one of the Lannister men pierces his stomach, making him drop to his knees. He looks directly at me as a blade goes through the top of his spine.

Men and boys start screaming as they run towards the armored men. I attempt to stop Gendry and Arie, but the darkness covers my vision. Flames are the only source of light. I run, looking for Gendry when I hear a familiar voice call in anguish.

"A man can fight!" I look over at the barred wagon. Flames spread over it, threatening their lives. "Free us!" He shouts. I look around and notice an ax on top of a tree stump. No matter how horrible these men are, they don't deserve to burn alive. I grab the ax and run over to them, handing him the ax through the bars before running away. I see Gendry a little ways away and I watch as three lords fight him until one hits him over the head.

An arm grabs me and I look him in his dull eyes before he punches me with his hand covered in metal. The taste of iron fills my mouth and my face stings and aches. He drags me over to the others.

"Round up the survivors. We're taking them to Harrenhal." A man shouts and they put us in a line. I begin to hear cries of help from a familiar voice.

"Help! Help! Help me!" I look over at Lommy. He lays on the ground with an arrow through his leg.

"Something wrong with your leg, boy?" A bald man walks over to Lommy and speaks with a mocking voice.

"Look at it." Lommy whines.

"Can you walk?"

"No. Can you carry me?" He requests and a plea escapes from his lips.

"Alright." The man reaches out for Lommy hands and Lommy goes to take it. When he leans forwards I watch as a thin sword smoothly goes through his throat. I feel nauseous as Lommy spits out pools of his own blood.

"We're looking for bastards named Gendry and Relina. Give them up or I start taking eyeballs."

"You want Gendry?" Arie says, "You already got him. He loved that helmet." She looks at Lommy who lays dead, next to the bull head helmet.  

"And the girl?" He asks and Gendry begins to laugh.

"Don't you think we would know if a girl was among us? A woman could never disguise herself here." The lord believes him and forces us to begin our walk towards Harrenhal.