Chapter 5

It's been two weeks since Gendry's allowed me to stay with him. I stay in the solitude of his room, but often take walks through King's Landing. Lord Baelish hasn't spoken to me since the day I left the brothel, and neither has Sidnae. I gaze into the broken mirror and brush out my dark brown hair. I plait two sections and let the rest flow down my back. I step into my dress, the dark green color matching my eyes. It flows gracefully off my chest and allows for my shoulders and back to show, giving me an escape from the dreadful heat. I look like a northerner disguised as a southerner, a rough dark-haired dark-eyed girl surrounded by graceful light-haired beauties and their intricate hairstyles.

I take my small coin purse and place it inside my dress, above my waistband. The Hand's Tournament is today, meaning that thousands of people will be cramming the streets of King's Landing to get good views of the joust. Lord's and Lady's will be staying for weeks, flourishing various businesses, but most importantly, Lord Baelish's. I won't be able to attempt to visit Sidnae this week, it's too dangerous.

The door creaks as I open it, stepping out of the room. I am greeted by Gendry's warm smile as he hammers a piece of metal.

"Why are you leaving so early?" Gendry asks as I walk over to him. The sun has just started to rise, casting its light on the darkest part of King's Landing.

"I have to get there before everyone else. I would actually like to see the joust this year, standing behind hundreds of people wasn't that amusing." I laugh at my own comment and he smiles, but it quickly turns into a frown.

"Let me walk you, Motts will allow me to take a break." He pleads, but I sigh and shake my head.

"I'll be fine, Gendry. You have nothing to worry about." He was right. It was dangerous for a girl my age to be walking around King's Landing during a tournament without a companion, but I don't need anyone to protect me.

"Then take this." He walks over to the counter beside him and picks up a small object wrapped in a dirty cloth. He hands it to me and I unfold the cloth delicately. A beautifully crafted dagger lays before my eyes. The silver blade shines and reflects my image upon it. The hilt of the dagger is designed with carvings of vines, but what catches my attention is the carving of a dog placed on-top of the hilt. The Clegane sigil.

"Did you make this?" I speak with awe. He nods, folding his arms in a modest way.

"I was going to give it to you for your name day, but this seemed like a more appropriate time." Gendry hands me a piece of sewn leather where I can sheath the dagger and keep it hidden in my dress. I throw my arms around him and hug him.

"Thank you, it's beautiful," I kiss his stubbled cheek and sheath the dagger. "I've got to be going now, I'll see you tonight." I walk outside and wave goodbye to him, he smiles and walks over to the forge. Some people are headed the same direction as me, mostly men. Most women don't like the violence of jousting, but whenever a tournament happens I always watch. My father used to participate in the name of the King while I watch from the side, praying to the Seven that he wouldn't be hurt.

I walk past Lords and Lady's as they chat with each other, discussing where they should sit amongst the nobles. I look around the joust, noticing more and more people are showing up and taking seats. I scan the empty seats and spot one deserted, a seat in the front, I would be able to see everything during the tournament. I begin to walk quickly towards the empty seat when I'm suddenly knocked to the ground.

"Who do you think you are?" An annoying voice erupts. I stand up and brush the dirt off my once clean dress.

"Not an annoying brat, like you." I look at the boy and quickly shut my mouth, instantly regretting my comment. I first notice my Father. He stands, looking forward through his hound helmet and his hand placed on the hilt of his sword. His height towers me, but I quickly fix my gaze towards the prince and drop into a deep curtsy.