Chapter 9

The putrid smell of rotting corpses burn through my nose, nearly causing me to get sick. I find myself standing next to Gendry. A bruise has formed on his temple from being struck by the Lannister men. The air stings the left side of my face as it brushes against the sore cuts and bruises. Remnants of a burned castle and destroyed courtyards are painted in the distance.

"Keep moving, bastard." One of the men shoves me which causes me to stumble over my feet. Gendry grabs my arm with his wrist chained together, helping me keep my balance. I give him a short smile as a silent 'thank you' and he looks the other way.

"What's that sound?" Hot Pie asks as we enter the grounds of the castle. The shrilling sound of a man wailing in pain deafens my ears. No one responds to Hot Pie. The men lead us into a small enclosure, as if we are animals ready for slaughter. The mud underneath me covers my shoes and instantly cools my burning feet.

The sound of the screaming man comes to a sudden stop.

"He's dead," An older woman speaks, her voice is expressionless. "He was my son." Gendry and I look at each other.

"My sister was three days ago, my husband a day before that." She stares off in the distance.

"They take someone everyday?" Gendry asks and I hit his arm, telling him to stop asking questions; however, the woman just leaves us in silence.

"Does anyone live?" Arie's voice emerges from the crowd and silence once again covers us. Although she never responds, I know the answer. A rebellious tear streams down my cheek and I wipe it away quickly with the shoulder of my dirty shirt. One of the only people I love is going to die here with me and it's all my fault.

Rain begins to shower us as we stand in the fenced in area. I watch as people slowly lay down and start to fall asleep. I sit down in the mud with my back against Gendry's.

"Do you think we'll live?" The blunt question escapes my lips and Gendry takes a few moments to answer.

"We should get some rest, Re." I take a deep, painful breath and close my eyes. I listen to the whispers of Arie.

"Joffrey," She says. "Cersei," This must be the list that Yoren had taught her, the list of the people she wants to kill. "Ilyn Payne," She takes a moment before saying the last name.

"The Hound."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"He's coming!" A whisper awakens me. I watch as everyone stands up urgently and stare at their muddy feet. As I stand up I notice the man walking towards us. He is wearing dirty heavy armor, enough to weigh down the average man, but this particular man is strong and tall enough to support it. I look at his face, it is one that I was raised to detest, my Uncle.

My gaze moves to my feet as he looks at all of us. A boy next to me shivers, suppressing a sob.

"What is he doing?" I ask the boy and he hesitantly responds.

"He chooses who is next to die." He turns away from me and away from my Uncle.

"You." The Mountains intimidating voice resonates in my ears. I slowly look up at who he's pointing to and the sudden realization causes everything to go silent.

Gendry's face goes expressionless and his blue eyes dart over to me.

"No,"  I say abruptly as two men forcefully grab Gendry by the biceps and begin to pull him out of the enclosure. "You've made a mistake!" I yell and grab onto Gendry's arm, attempting to keep him here.

"Shut up, bastard." The man pushes me to the ground but I quickly stand up, ignoring the throbbing pain in my left wrist.

"No!" My pleas are ignored as they usher Gendry out. Without thinking I run up to Gendry and place my hands on either side of his face before laying my lips on his. I kiss him out of desperation, pity, love for a friend. Heavy arms grab me by the wrists and tear me away from Gendry. I look the Mountain in the eyes before he punches me in the stomach, making me fall to the ground.

I watch from the ground as they throw Gendry onto the bloodied seat. The Tickler smiles with joy as they tie a bucket to his torso. Gendry looks brave and stubborn, but I notice the hidden look in his eyes. He's terrified. My stomach turns when the Tickler holds a glowing iron rod towards the bottom of the metal bucket. Everyone's heads turn as the sound of horses enter through the front gate. An older man with red and gold armor appears on a white horse. I instantly recognize his face, Tywin Lannister.

"What's this?" He states plainly towards the Mountain. He responds urgently.

"We weren't expecting you till tomorrow."

"Evidently not," He dismounts his horse and walks towards us. I notice Arie standing while everyone else kneels so I join her, clutching my stomach as I stand. "Why are these prisoners not in their cells?"

"Cells are overflowing, My Lord" After the Mountain speaks, the man I came to know as Polliver speaks.

"It's not like they'll be here long, don't need vermin in places. After we interrogate them we usually just-" He gestures to the top of the wall where the heads of the prisoners stand on a pike.

"Are we so well met that we can afford to discard able bodies and skilled laborers?" Polliver remains speechless. Lord Lannister walks away from him.

"You," He directs towards Gendry who is still seated on the chair. "Do you have a trade?"

"Smith, M'lord." Both Arie and I look at each other and smile. Suddenly Polliver lunges at us.

"What are you lookin' at?" Both Arie and I take a step back as he draws his sword. "Kneel." I don't respond, instead I look him directly in the eye. "Kneel or I will cut both of your lungs out, boy." He directs to both of us as he rests the tip of his sword on my chest.

"You'll do no such thing," Lord Lannister says casually as he looks at the both of us. "These two are girls, you idiot. Dressed as boys, why?"

"It's safer to travel, My Lord." Arie responds hesitantly. Lord Lannister smiles.

"Smart. More than I can say for this lot," Polliver looks at him and glares at me. "Get these prisoners to their cells and bring the girls to me, I need new cup bearers."