Chapter 2 Past the Past

In the early morning light, Ben Solo sits at the edge of his bed, hands in fists looking out the window. He hears echoes of Luke's voice in his head as he once taught him. Words of encouragement and wisdom. The scolding sharpness of reproof. The memories have been haunting him and Ben can't seem to get away from Luke's last reprimand.

Later, Ben looks over a table in the throne room and hears Luke's voice again. The last thing he hears is, "I'll always be with you." He suddenly becomes aware of Hux standing there looking up at his map.

Hux chokes on his last words. "Don't you think you've had enough vaca...tions as of late?"

Ben sounds indifferent when he speaks and seems to expend no effort as Hux struggles for air.

"Is that any way to talk to your Supreme Leader? Snoke's final wish was to destroy Ach-to."

Hux suddenly drops to his knees holding his neck. In a raspy voice Hux manages, "Long live the Supreme Leader."

Ben always finds this amusing and flashes half a smile, "Thank you."

Hux gets up slowly from his knees.

"Why don't you just kill me?"

Almost sarcastically, but without looking at Hux, Ben replies, "When you're so good at what you do? How are our preparations for a home planet base coming?"

"I have it narrowed down to Naboo or Chandrila. We seem to have equal supporters on each, as well as ample resources."

Ben pauses for a split second, "Naboo. It's prettier."

Hux is irritated that Ben has the final say on everything. He can't hide the disdain in his voice, "Alright...anything else Supreme Leader?"

"No, you may go. And Hux, don't forget who between the two of us possesses the real power."

Hux glowers away and sneers at Ben's guards as he goes. He's getting tired of the abuse he suffers at the hand of a man who he feels is his inferior in every way. He knows that he is powerless against him, and hates even more that Ben knows, and is constantly reminding him.

At sunset on Chandrila, Rey stands with a group of children at the edge of a cliff. She shows them how to swing a stick to fight with as a mock lightsaber. Rey holds Luke's repaired, albeit modified, light saber. It has a long handle and a shorter light blue blade. Rey enjoys being with the children. She was never around many young people on Jakku. She is still the youngest adult in her association.

Rey takes her time to finish demonstrating her defensive move. Poe and Finn watch patiently until she finishes.

"OK, that's it for today" she concludes.

The younglings are reluctant, "Aw! Thanks Rey!" they acknowledge the two men as they pass, "Hi Commander Dameron! Hi Finn!"

As the kids run off up the hill Poe approaches Rey seriously.

"So, have you been able to have any more contact with Kylo Ren?"

Rey looks at Finn, irritated that he told Poe about it at all. She sighs, looking out over the cliff.

"No."

Finn realizes that she may have been seeking Kylo Ren's connection repeatedly over the months, and not told him; his voice comes out accusingly, "Have you tried?"

Rey ignores him, speaking directly to Poe, "I've tried a few times, but he's shut off our connection completely."

"Can you try harder? We could really use someone on the inside."