Chapter 16 Lines are Drawn

The stable boy smiles wildly, holding the hands of his friends as they board Kellin's ship.

Chewbacca objects strongly.

"Is that the war hero Chewbacca?" The boy asks in his native tongue.

Rey looks at Ben proudly. Ben can't help but smile, ever so much. He flashes back to when he was very small, swinging around a stick.

Han picks him up and swings him up in the air.

"What are you doing?" Han laughs.

"When I gwow up, I'm goin' to be just wike Uncwe Wuke."

"Better than Uncle Luke! Ain't that right?"

Luke laughs, "Look at him, he's a natural."

Leia touches Han's shoulder, "Let him be my little boy a little longer please. We have to make sure he has a Galaxy to grow up in first." She kisses little Ben's head. "We need to go or we'll be late."

"Yeah, yeah. Duty calls. Kid, take care of Uncle Luke while we're gone."

Ben recalls later that night Luke tucks him into bed.

Little Ben watches his uncle closely and asks, "Arw dere only two sides to da fowce?"

"I guess so, why?"

"How do you know whits side you'w on?"

"Well, it depends on what you do with it."

"Daddy says sometimes you have to bend da wules to do da wight fing. I hope da Gawaxy gets peace soon, so dey can stay wif me all da time."

"I'll stay with you." Luke smiles.

"Pwomise?"

"Promise."

Everyone laughs at the small explosion in the passenger part of the ship. Chewbacca is annoyed from the cockpit. Rij shakes his head in disappointment and moves back to his place.

"I thought for sure I had it that time."

Chewbacca moantalks angrily.

Ben brushes him off, "We're not going to hurt the ship."

Gib moves over from Rey, "Let Ben try again!"

"I don't know if the old Wookie is going to be okay with this much longer." Rij says eyeing the cockpit.

"Wookies don't get old. They just get grumpy and die."

Rey is shocked and Chewbacca throws an air fist at him as he scolds.

"Hey that's what R-2 told me."

Ben and Rey sit opposite each other and he holds his hand out under hers and concentrates. Rey attempts to pass Ben a ball of energy. This time, instead of flying off it diffuses between them.

"OOOOhhh!" Kellin laughs, "I hope that's not a sign."

"Try again!" the stable boy begs.

Ben and Rey try again. Rey makes the smallest ball and Ben grows it larger and they are all impressed. He takes it and passes it to his other hand, then, crackling, it disappears.

Chewbacca makes an off color comment to him in response.

"Let's see you try!" Ben retorts.

Everyone laughs and the kids are really enjoying the spectacle. CBBO-1 flies in, beeping like never before and all intently listen.