Chapter 12 In the Family Way

Holding an explosive device, one of Ben's Knights approaches him as he prepares to take off.

"We found this tucked away. No doubt it was planted by Hux. Should we dispose of it?"

"I'll hold on to it. Put it in the bombing bay."

As Ben flies away from the command ship he drops the timed explosive onto the hull of the ship and smiles to himself.

"Idiot," Ben mutters.

Back on his command ship dozens of Storm Troopers run in different directions through the hallways.

"Find her!!!" Hux yells over the intercom.

A group of Troopers storm into Ben's quarters and surround a lump in the bed. They all fire on the lump, which proves to be nothing but fluffed pillows.

Ben jumps into hyperspace and scowls.

"Rey?" He says aloud to himself.

Rey crawls out from behind the tandem seat and buckles into the chair at Ben's rear, glancing at his navigation.

"I thought you were going to Canto Byte?"

"What are you doing here?!" Ben exclaims.

"Not staying on that ship."

"How did you get here undetected?"

"I don't like being left behind. It turns out your blue friends were very helpful after all."

"Those traitors!"

"What's wrong with your navigation?"

"What are you talking about?"

"It's wrong."

"How do you know?"

"Look, it shows you here, and there is no way that's where we are."

"Maybe something is throwing it off."

Rey moves her eyes around the cockpit.

"Was this fighter manufactured on Varshand?"

Ben only scowls in response. Rey braces herself, speaking her realization aloud, "It's a flaw in the ship!"

There is an explosion and a billowing ball of fire on the hull of the First Order command ship where Ben dropped Hux's surprise. Hux screams from lightyears away "Reeeeeennnnn!!"

As if his plan to detain Rey being foiled wasn't enough, now he would have to deal with a repair. He realizes it was his own fault. He knew the Praetorian Guard had helped the girl escape. As soon as their numbers were diminished on assignments abroad, he would have another chance.

Ben and Rey dust themselves off from the crash. They each grab their bags as the droids trail them.

"That information would have been great three hours ago. I could have taken a different ship."

"Well you didn't tell me where you were going. Why didn't you take your fighter?"

"It's too conspicuous."

"I have some friends I could call."

"Fine. Tatooine at dusk, I can hear the Raiders now." Ben dusts the sand out of his hair.

Droid folds up its arms and extends two wings which Ben jumps on and glides over the sand, his bag flung over his shoulder. Rey does the same and follows him along the ridges of sand.

The night sky extends above. Ben lays propped up on a bag next to a small fire. He looks pensive. Rey sits on the ground near him poking at the fire.