Chapter 15 More Knights

That night, in a large room that once served as barracks, Kelic is curled up fast asleep in a hammock.

The windows are open and a slight breeze blows the vines around the opening. They can see stars. There are about forty hammocks in the room. Chewbacca chooses one and indicates for Ben to be near him. Ben walks slowly across the room and is distracted by the stars. Rey comes in behind them excitedly, holding a blanket under one arm.

"This is fun!"

Chewbacca is excited too. reminiscing to Ben.

Ben smiles, "Yeah I remember. We used to visit Kashyyyk sometimes on diplomatic missions."

His large hairy friend trills scoldingly.

"And fun." Ben adds.

A fist-sized bug drops from the ceiling and Ben jumps back in disgust. Chewbacca eats it and laughs at Ben as he climbs into his hammock. Ben chooses a hammock and Rey climbs in next to him before he can object, and pulls the blanket up. She closes her eyes settling against him. He still scans the space for bugs.

"I hate bugs. My neighbor had a pet Gufu cat who used to love to catch them."

"I learned to appreciate them. The desert Flinka tarantulas eat the Cloony beetles. The Clooney beetles gather near water, even a drip, but the lizard rats were the ones who ate the Flinkas. Those were what you learned to catch. You could eat a Flinka, but lizard rats taste amazing when all you've been eating is portions."

Ben's chest shakes as he stifles a laugh, "That is a terrible story."

"Then why are you laughing?"

"I don't know!" Ben kisses her forehead.

Chewbacca moantalks in irritation.

"Yes Chewie, we know you're still here," Rey rolls her eyes. "What was it like growing up on Chandrila?"

"Amazing. Everything is so balanced and harmonious there. I was like a prince. Everyone knew who I was everywhere we went. And then, when I wanted to just be a boy and his parents, it wasn't so great. And I'd get so frustrated, and feel so alone. And then I'd build things. And think about how everything could be better."

Ben and Rey look up at the stars.

"Do you think we'll ever be able to have an important conversation without using a lightsaber?" She asks.

"Do you want to?"

"At least you remember your parents."

"Who were hardly around. I was raised by Luke and the droids. I grew resentful of all the fake people around me. They were nothing but masks and pretending. The few who were truly good were too afraid to do anything. Vera dying was it. Luke thought all my time alone wasn't a good idea. Vera was the only one who made me feel like they cared. I wanted to see through everyone and eliminate all the façades."

"So you ran away to a liar who only wanted you for your power?"

"I met Snoke at some diplomat ball. He said all the right things. Made me feel like I didn't have to hide. And when I left to join him, Luke didn't come for me. He ran away. Abandoned me. When he finally did come, it was too late. I hid from my father until he finally gave up. And my mother was too busy saving the Galaxy to save her own son."

"She loved you."

"The best she could. You came to me. You said you believed in me, even though you wanted nothing from me. You expected nothing."